Air lock losing water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CADETS3

Reaction score
I have an Irish Stout on its 2nd week in a 5gal Whisky barrel and I found yesterday that the air lock was low on water and the plastic floater was sucked to the inside tube. I filled the air lock back up with water and reset the floater. 6 hours later it had sucked the water out of the air lock again. WTF..... I'm confused as to what is happening. Any help will be appreciated.

Temperature difference? From the beer to the house temperature?

I've never barrel-aged, but wouldn't the barrel absorb some of your beer as well?

Well, in my experiences, when I get a suck-back, a partial vacuum is created by the initial ferment temps going down. Lifting the airlock center piece will relieve the pressure. Put it back in & make sure it's filled to the line on the side.

Agree on temps dropping (most likely) or the barrel is absorbing your beer, creating a slight vacuum.

Probably just evaporation. The three piece airlocks lose water MUCH more quickly than the one piece S type air locks.

I've been having this problem too (in a carboy though) but switching to an S-type airlock seems to have fixed it.

Last edited:
Probably just evaporation. The three piece airlocks lose water MUCH more quickly than the one piece S type air locks.

Agree on your second sentence completely, but 3 piece airlocks do not evaporate to empty in 6 hours. Even in the desert.

Back