Air Lock going Dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvess

Reaction score
I pitched some liquid yeast and after 2 days saw no sign of fermentation. I then pitched more and then in 12 hrs started getting fermentation. I now have so much fermentation that it is boiling my air lock dry. I have a mixture of water and starsan and it is bubbling up the starsan making the air lock go dry. I think it had been dry for about 12 hours before I realized it. I guess the other yeast was a slow starter. Do you think during that time I got infected and what will having too much yeast do to my beer?

Doubt it on infection, if it was that fast of a fermentation its likely that entire airlock was full of CO2.

I had a similar thing happen, its because you have too much starsan in your solution. It bubbles up pulling the water with it and dries out.

Theres no such thing as having too much yeast, dont worry about that.

Yep - if it's bubbling enough to foam your solution out, it's got enough positive pressure that you most likely don't have to worry about anything getting in. I'd just top off the airlock and call it good.

That's why I use cheap vodka in my airlocks. It doesn't foam up & spill out the holes in the airlock cap. And anything that gets through said holes dies of alcohol poisoning forthwith.

That's why I use cheap vodka in my airlocks. It doesn't foam up & spill out the holes in the airlock cap. And anything that gets through said holes dies of alcohol poisoning forthwith.

alcohol should evaporate at a quicker rate than water...I use it in my airlocks also just stating a point.
Also i use very cheap vodka in my airlocks because if you accidentally casue back pressure you just raised you ABV! (not by anything significant)

+1 on the cheap vodka in the airlock. I only use left over starsan in bucket or growler for a blow off tube.

Latest posts

Back