AHS Pumpkin Pie Cream Ale - Limited Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmendick

Reaction score
So I bought this kit from Austin Homebrew last year and was told that I absolutely have to make it again, after they sold out of the kits this year. The problem is that I lost the instructions, no idea how I could have done that :tank:. Anyway, does anyone have the instructions for this beer?
I did get the Vanilla Powder and Pumpkin Spice Pack that I remember from last year, just don't recall the grain bill and mash schedule.

So I bought this kit from Austin Homebrew last year and was told that I absolutely have to make it again, after they sold out of the kits this year. The problem is that I lost the instructions, no idea how I could have done that :tank:. Anyway, does anyone have the instructions for this beer?
I did get the Vanilla Powder and Pumpkin Spice Pack that I remember from last year, just don't recall the grain bill and mash schedule.

I did the same thing. I emailed them and asked for the recipe but I haven't heard back from them. Did you end up getting it?

I actually just got a response from AHS:

"This is one of our limited edition recipes that we only release once a year. We’ve already released the recipe this year and it’s different than last year. Unfortunately I am unable to send you the recipe as it is no longer available."

How is the recipe no longer available? Thanks AHS...even though I support you and try and buy from you often you can't even send me the recipe to a kit I already purchased? Lame!

I got that response before they released it this year.
I have the extract recipe from last year.
7# Extra Light LME
8oz 2 Row Base Malt
8oz Crystal 10
8oz Flaked Corn
4oz Carapils
1# canned pumpkin (I spread thin and roasted at 350 for about 15-20 minutes)

1oz Perle - 60 Min
.5oz Saaz - 15 Min
.5oz Saaz - Flameout

1LB Lactose - 60 Min
The spices all come from their Pumpkin Ale Spice Pack that you can buy on its own
.25oz Sweet Orange Peel - 15 Min
1tsp Cinnamon - 15 Min
1/3tsp Nutmeg - 15 Min
1/8tsp Mace - 15 Min

1oz Vanilla Extract Powder (at bottling)
WLP080 - Cream Ale Blend

Steeped for 20-25 Minutes at 155
Boiled for 60 Minutes
Fermented at 64ish
Add Vanilla Extract at bottling.

I just bottled this the other day.( do not have the recipe handy right now) if any one has made this, what can I expect? Is this a worth while brew? How long should I let this go in the bottles? I will post the recipe later today.

I'd be interested to see what they changed since last year.
Give it about 2-3 weeks and try it then.
SWMBO's mom drank almost half the keg herself at Thanksgiving last year, it's a pretty good beer.
Did you cook the pumpkin puree before putting it in the mash/steep?

Wow, I don't like strongly spiced or heavy pumpkin ales, but honestly a pumpkin cream ale sounds pretty good. I think 1 lb of lactose is an insane amount, though; would probably be WAY to sweet for my taste.

Adam

2014 AHS pumpkin pie cream ale extract recipe
1/4 lb carapils malt
1/2 lb crystal 10L
1/2 lb 2-row
1 lb canned non spiced pumpkin
Steep above for 25 mins@ 155 f
1lb lactose
6 lb extra light dme
Start of boil
1 oz sterling 60 min
1/2 oz Saaz 15 mins
Pumpkin ale spice pack 15 mins
1/2 oz Saaz 5 mins

Yeast options
WL California ale 001
WY American ale 1056
SafAle US-05
I used US-05
1 oz vanilla extract powder at bottling

I hope this helps you guys out. I hope mine turns out ok. I wanted to do a pumpkin beer and it just happened I was looking right when this got released. There were no reviews on it so I am a little skeptical.
I did not roast/ toast the pumpkin at all, though I think I should have.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brewed the AHS Kristal IPA limited edition (extract)when it came out in June.

It was so damn good I tried to get the all grain version recipe, no luck.

I'm kinda shocked at the way Austin Homebrew Supply is withholding recipes. Doesn't seem very sporting to do that. You can't copyright a recipe anyway, so why sit on it? Maybe they just want to sell kits, not ingredients.

At any rate, here's the all-grain recipe for 2014:

9 lb. 2-row malt
1/2 lb. Crystal 10L malt
1/4 lb. Carapils malt
1 lb. canned (non-spiced) pumpkin

Mash for 60 min. at 150-degrees. Sparge at 175-degrees for 10-15 min.

Add 1 lb. lactose sugar at boil. Be care to not let the sugar burn.

Add 1 oz. Sterling hops at 60 min.

Add 1/2 oz. Saaz hops and pumpkin pie spices at 15 min. The AHS spices in the kit consist of 1 tsp. cinnamon, 3/8 tsp. nutmeg, 1/8 tsp. mace, and 7 g. sweet orange peel.

Add 1/4 oz. Saaz at 5 min.

OG: 1.056

Add White Labs California Ale 001 or Wyeast American Ale 1056 or Safale US-05.

At bottling or kegging add 1 oz. Vanilla extract powder.

FG: 1.011

I haven't made this yet, but I need to get my butt in gear and make it. I'm toying with the idea of adding oak chips in the secondary, perhaps in place of the vanilla. I'll definitely use roasted pumpkin, not canned.

there really isn't anything wrong with canned pumpkin, they don't add too much "non pumpkin" to it.
Also I used a soft maple honeycomb, that I soaked in bourbon for about a week before I threw it in the carboy, this year and it turned out better.

If you add oak I would consider maybe mashing a little higher, from my experience, oak drys out the beers I make. I'm no wood-aged expert though.

I know I am kind of reviving an old thread, but, I just found a couple of these that I made in September or October.....they are waaaay better now than they were fresh. Really mellowed out and the flavors blended well. I wish they would release this earlier so I could have this awesomeness in the fall. I have the recipe now, so I'll just use that to brew it earlier.

Back