AHS Apple Peeler kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKeg81

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone else here brewed this kit? I brewed this a while back and had my first taste of it a week or 2 ago. It was WAY different than I had expected/hoped. I used juice instead of cider, so I'm sure that's part of it. Cider wasn't available to me at a decent price at the time. It is way more tart than I'd like it to be and overall just lack luster.

Can I sweeten it at this point with a little bit of cider (would like the added spices as well)? Suggestion? Comments?

How did yours come out?

I too found it to be rather meh. I'm going to let it sit for 6 months or so to see what happens
I have a friend that will add sugar to his wines after fermentation to sweeten to his taste. I don't honestly know why you cant sweeten the secondary with some cider

eyebike said:
I too found it to be rather meh. I'm going to let it sit for 6 months or so to see what happens
I have a friend that will add sugar to his wines after fermentation to sweeten to his taste. I don't honestly know why you cant sweeten the secondary with some cider

Did you use juice or cider?

I used non pasturized, unfiltered juice from a organic food store.
I tried some again last night. I think that letting it sit will improve the flavor. It was much smoother with a better apple flavor.
It has been in the bottle now for 10 weeks

I used non pasturized, unfiltered juice from a organic food store.
I tried some again last night. I think that letting it sit will improve the flavor. It was much smoother with a better apple flavor.
It has been in the bottle now for 10 weeks

Mine was brewed on July 4th, kegged ~ 3 weeks after that and sat at room temp until I moved it to the keezer on August 30th. I guess I might take it out and let it stay warm for another couple of weeks to see if that helps. If it doesn't, I'll try the cider addition.

Well it's in the ale pale in the fridge, Safale 04 in the low 60s. I'll keep ya'll posted!

Cider doesn't mean spiced apple cider. It simply means straight unfiltered apple juice.

@ 1.020 after about 5 days, gave it a stir and sent it back to the fridge. Dang, I want this to finish lower!

image-820367720.jpg

seatbelt123 said:
@ 1.020 after about 5 days, gave it a stir and sent it back to the fridge. Dang, I want this to finish lower!

What do you mean the fridge?

bottlebomber said:
Gotcha. I was gonna say, I think I know why you're not seeing your FG ;)

Haha. That would make for a great "How come my fermentation never started?" troll thread! :)

seatbelt123 said:
Haha. That would make for a great "How come my fermentation never started?" troll thread! :)

No sign of activity in my lager! I pitched yeast 3 weeks ago

I just posted an update in the Graf thread:

Well here's the final sample of the AHS Apple Peeler Graf that I brewed on 10/13. It finished at 1.012. It is pretty tart and the 60F mostly flat sample was not thrillingly good. I'll keg it this weekend and provide another update. Here's a pic of the sample, clear and golden.

image-681276991.jpg

Latest posts

Back