Aging/ Storing in the keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDNBrew

Reaction score
I'm going to start aging/ storing some of my brews in pin lock kegs (No IPAs). They will be stored between 65 and 70 degrees.
Here is my process:

rack to clean sanitized keg
place lid and push in 30PSI CO2 for a min
Disconnect and purge out O2

Should I purge than hit with Co2 and purge again, or is one time enough?

Thoughts

I purge my kegs 3 times. Pressurize at 15 psi, purge, repeat 3 times then set to desired carb level

I agree that multiple purging is the way to go. While eventually CO2 does settle below regular air, forming the proverbial blanket, it takes time for that to happen. Every time you pump CO2 in it mixes with the air; it doesn't "stratify" right away. Multiple purges gets rid of more air than less. I do it 5 times.

Myth. There is no such phenomenon.

Which is a good thing or we'd all die...

Cheers!

Are you saying the blanket part is myth? I ask because I've seen other references to this. But it wouldn't surprise me. There are a lot of myths in this hobby that continue to be mindlessly repeated. :eek: Perhaps I'm guilty of the same.

There is a pretty simple way to purge the keg of virtually all of the O2 before filling it with beer. First fill the keg with distilled water or sanitizer and seal it. Then hook up the gas and beer out lines and simply empty the fluid from the keg by 'dispensing' it from the tap.
Sure you may have a little residual sanitizer in the bottom of the keg, but I have to think it is a small amount when compared to the amount of the same sanitizer that is left on the inside of our 'wet' 12 oz bottles. If you have cut that dip tube, there will obviously be more liquid left in the 'empty keg'.
Since you are actively displacing the fluid with a controlled source, your CO2 tank, you can be sure that the contents of the keg at the end are almost exactly what you pumped in. I say almost because there is most certainly an amount of O2 or other gas that is produced from the sanitizer or water evaporating in the keg during the process. I am not sure of the math or science on this one, but I am sure that there someone much more educated than I here that can confirm (or disprove) this--or maybe even give the calculations for it.

Back