Aging on Toasted Coconut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASXL41

Reaction score
So I have a Russian Imperial Stout currently aging with some oak chips and rum. My intention is eventually toast and add about 1-1.5lbs of unsweetened, organic coconut to the carboy and let it age a little while longer before I eventually bottle in a month or two. The beer has already been aging for two months now.

My question is when would be the best time to add the coconut and how long I should let it sit in there. I'm looking for the coconut to be prominent enough , but not overpowering. I've seen anywhere from a week to two weeks.

My plan right now was add it soon and let it sit for at least two weeks, if not a little longer. I was also curious about adding yeast in all this? I wanted to make sure I get enough carbonation and have the yeast to add, but do you think it'd be safe to add it while the coconut is also in the carboy?

I make a coconut black ipa, and I let the beer sit on 1 lbs of unsweetened coconut for about a week. I just finished off my last bottle of that batch a few days ago and the coconut was still prominent(180 days later).

Recipe was created for 70% efficiency and should be about 7.5%, Im typically higher than that. This last batch was right ~ 9%.

Okay. Mine should be around 9-10%. I just wanted a reference because I didn't want the alcohol to mask the flavor or aroma of the coconut

Latest posts

Back