Aging in kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bribo179

Reaction score
I am new to kegging and filledtrip of my kegs today. I am going to let these sit for awhile. I purged the headspace on both kegs we with 20 psi three times.

The final time I did not purge the head space and the keg had 20 psi in it with the co2 turned off. Do I leave this co2 in the keg our purge it again?

I also plan on aging big beers on wood in kegs. I am guessing I will do the same for that a these kegs

I wouldn't purge after the final time, leaving pressure in the keg (just like you did). Keep in mind, that pressure will go away, since it will go into solution of the brew. If you're not chilling the keg, I would check on it at least every week or two, and top of the pressure.

For the oak aging, depending on which toast level, of which oak strain, and how much you use, you might want to either have another keg ready, or have the oak in a bag you can easily remove from the keg.

I do all planned batch aging before I keg them. Basically, my batches are 100% ready to drink when they go into keg, just needing to be carbonated. This does mean that I'm still going 4-8 weeks from boil to keg, then about 2-3 weeks on gas to carbonate (in the brew fridge). Any kegs not going into the fridge (I use 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs, due to the fridge I use) are sealed, purged, and then keg filled with 10-20 psi of pressure before I set them aside. I check when I think of it (have the pressure tester from William's) to make sure they have at least some pressure still in them. This lets me partially carbonate the second keg of each batch, at least partially, while the first part is on tap.

Back