aging in bottle vs carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loftybrewer

Reaction score
SOOOOOO,
I want to clear out my carboys full of brew that should ideally sit for a while to attain its most desirable characteristics. What is really the difference between leaving it in the carboy for 6 months and priming/bottling and letting it sit for 6 months? FG is at 1.004 and I can't expect much to change over 6 months - if it does I'm assuming that even going down to 1 flat isn't going to give me bombs. Is it? More importantly, is there a difference between aging in the bottle and in the carboy? Isn't the same thing happening in both?

Some say bulk aging is best but to each is own and in all cases subjective. I prefer to bottled sooner so as to have no need to re-yeast. Pushing 6 months is a need for fresh yeast at bottling. Plus you can sample as you go along without popping off the airlock and bung every time. If you get a good mixture in the bottling bucket I see no difference if all other variables stay the same for those stored bottles. Our tastes change so over the period of drinking a batch each bottle whether we've had kung pao chicken or cheerios is gonna taste different in a subtle way.

Back