Aggressive fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eluterio

Reaction score
I have a question on experienced brewers on fermentation Ill describe my process below.

Grains 25 lbs
Mashed at 148 to 150
sparged 168
End of sparge refractometer reading 1.010

Boiled as normal ended up with 10 gallons of wort.

Two fermentation vessels
made starters with about 390 billion cells per yet starter.
wyeast 1056
WLP001

Ferment temp 62 degrees, Yes the lower end but expected it to raise up to 66.

Within 5 hours I had fermentation rolling aggressively.

WLP 001
Day 5 gravity reading 1.016
Day 8 Gravity reading 1.009

Wy1056
Day 8 gravity reading 1.011

The wy1056 was still bubbling about every 45 seconds. Both fermentation vessels had a thin krausen on top.

wlp001 is very dry and was very prickly on the tongue.
wy1056 is bit sweeter and not as prickly.

Should I be concerned with this long of fermentation? What could be the prognoses of the elongated fermentation?

I ended up racking into kegs only 8 days from start to now I didnt want it to dry out and finish lower FG then its already at.

Nothing here seems out of the ordinary. You mashed relatively low (148/150) so I'd expect this beer finish out relatively dry with a lighter body. Don't keg prematurely or you'll prevent the yeast from cleaning up off flavors (it's fine to put it in the keg, but keep it at fermentation temps until you're confident it's done fermenting).

I couldn't taste any diacetyl or any other bugs however, I did notice a lack in hop character in the beer that finished lower but it could have been masked by the bite I was getting from the dryness. Im glad to hear that it happens cause out of the 2 years ive been brewing my beers usually finish within 5 days from start of fermentation.

I wanted a lower mash temp wanting to really fine tune my mash tun and see how mashing this low actually taste on my system.

Thanks for the input!

Latest posts

Back