Aggie in Tigerland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AggieBrewer01

Reaction score
Howdy! I am a Native Texan and a Fightin' Texas Aggie, class of 2001. Whoooop!! I moved to New Orleans in March of 2006 - six months after Hurricane Katrina - to set up FEMA housing assistance trailers. I expected to be there only a couple of months, but after 6 1/2 years, I still live there. I met and married a woman from River Ridge, a suburb of New Orleans and we now live in Harahan, also a suburb of New Orleans. I now work in the oilfield. I supervise the cementing operations on an offshore drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico and work a 14 days on, 14 days off schedule.

One Christmas, while I was in college, Santa Clause gave me a Mr. Beer kit. I brewed the "beer," experiencing mediocre results and having several bottles explode. I thought that brewing beer was something that should be left to the pros. :(

However, a couple of years back my brother-in-law was making a trip to Brewstock, the homebrew store in New Orleans, and invited me to tag along. I talked to the owner and he convinced me that you really could make good beer at home. I decided that I should give brewing another shot. I told my wife about this, and for Christmas she got me some equipment and ingredients to brew an extract batch. (My wife is pretty well the coolest girl in the world, because she bought me the stuff to brew beer, while she was pregnant. :rockin:)

I think was an extract brewer for 6 months or so before I got tired of bottling, so I built a kegerator. :drunk: And then decided to switch to all grain. I think I've been brewing all grain for about 2 years now. My brewery is my carport. Up until recently, my equipment has included a keggle w/ a kettlevalve, 10 gal beverage cooler w/ kettelvalve and kettelscreen for a mash tun, and an aluminum turkey fryer pot for my HLT. My 14 and 14 work schedule dictates my brewing - I get off work and brew 2 batches over the next couple of days. Depending on style, the beer usually sits in primary for a week or two, then I transfer to secondary. It will sit in secondary the entire 2 weeks I'm at work, and then I keg it when I get home.

I have read several threads and derived a lot of useful information from Homebrewtalk.com, so I figured I'd join. I am in the process of constructing a single tiered HERMS system, and I plan on starting a thread that details my progress.

Cheers! :mug:

Welcome from a fellow Louisiana home brewer. I am also getting back into the hobby, passion, obsession. I am planning on going all grain sometime this fall!

I am planning on going all grain sometime this fall!

If you have any questions or need any help when you switch to all grain, there's a ton of information on Homebrewtalk.com. And if you can't find the answers you need, I'll help you out if I can! Cheers! :mug:

Latest posts

Back