Age/Store Hard Cider in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James0816

Reaction score
I've got some hard cider that is currently aging in the carboy. I'm thinking about moving it over to some 5g kegs to free up the carboy. This is a still cider.

What is the best/proper way to age cider in a keg? I have been thinking of force carbing into bottles once it has aged out.

Thanks kindly,

It’s fine to age your cider in a keg. The only issue I have ever run into is the lid not making a tight seal. If you plan to force carb this may not be an issue if you put it on pressure.
If you want to keep it a still cider, just make sure you lube the lid gasket well. I hate not being able to see the cider but not a deal breaker.
I’ve aged cider in kegs many times without issue.

Cider in a keg is... cider in a keg. You should be good to go. This is how I always do it.

Follow up question to this might be if you're going to age cider in a keg...what temp should you keep it at?

It doesn't really matter. Just remember that wines/cider/beer/mead age faster at room temperature, while colder temperatures slow aging. Fridge temperature is great for ciders that are at their peak, and it will stay that way longer than at cellar or room temperatures. If it needs a bit of age (usually ciders do not), a cellar temperature is great, room temperature ok for a short time.

Back