AG-what to pitch on wyeast 1469 yeastcake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisdb

Reaction score
I drink mostly belgian beer, but northern brewer caught my fancy with it's AG inkeeper kit

http://www.northernbrewer.com/defau...kit.html?SID=ff7248f210a679e8b18a117540cc6833

with the limited edition wyeast 1469.
I will slant some samples before brewing to save some yeast but was wondering how it would work for another brew pitched on the yeast cake.
I have lots of pale malt and car-amber, a pound each of cara-wheat and chocolate malt . Hops on hand are vanguard, Styrian Goldings, East Kent Goldings and Czech Saaz.
I was thinking a dark beer like a porter or stout would be something nice to have around.
I like big beers so something like an Imperial Stout would nice, but i don't know if this yeast will be happy in a high gravity wort. Maybe an oatmeal stout instead? or maybe a chocolate stout?
any ideas about what to pitch on the yeast cake? I don't mind shopping for more ingredients, so don't limit to what I have on hand.

I know you said stouts, but a brown ale would work nicely with what you've got. With it being an entire cake, I would't worry about the gravity too much.

If you do go the stout route, that would work as well, but you'll probably want to pick up some roasted barley and use that with the chocolate. Sounds like you've got plenty of options, but I'm partial to brown ales.

Back