AG Rye Braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfgoat

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So Ive never done a braggot before and thought,well mead is ok and I love rye beers so why not combine the two. I was hoping to get a little critiquing on this as I'm not an avide mead maker nor have I ever attempted a braggot. Let me know what you think.

Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.28 gal
Estimated OG: 1.081 SG
Estimated Color: 5.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 49.1 %
1 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 7.0 %
12.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.3 %
8.0 oz Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
1.50 oz Liberty [4.30%] (30 min) Hops 17.7 IBU
5 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 35.1 %
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9.25 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 11.56 qt of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F 60 min

:mug:

So I finally got around to brewing this with some minor variations from the proposed recipe. I upped the flaked rye to use a whole pound and decided to using Nottingham yeast for this instead of S-04 just because I have a lot of it. I also reduced the amount of base grain as I usually get ridiculous high efficiency and I wanted to keep this between 1.07 and 1.08 instead of around 1.100. So recipe brewed is listed below and I will update as things progress. I do make water adjustments but didn't bother listing them as that is something that varies in scope from place to place.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.89 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 4.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 39.2 %
1 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 2 7.8 %
1 lbs Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.8 %
12.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.9 %
1.50 oz Liberty [4.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 17.3 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
6.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 7 -
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 8 -
5 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 9 39.2 %

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 9.69 qt of water at 168.2 F 156.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 7.20 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------
hops are optional

Just transferred to secondary. Thickest yeast cake I think I've ever had . Too bad I don't wash yeast from bigger beers.

1407946546345.jpg

It's developing a nice red color. I'm debating on how long to let it sit inv the better bottle. Been there a few weeks now. Any input on aging? I was thinking a month might be ok as it was less than 1.070 og.

1409507614219.jpg

Well decided to start cold crashing it. It has a very nice red color from the rye and smells great. Haven't snuck any samples yet but I should be bottling soon.

Nice one. I quite like braggawd, but I tend to go for closer to 50/50 between malt and honey so curious how this heavy bodied version will end up. Two pounds of rye sounds brilliant. Is it fairly spicey?

Nice one. I quite like braggawd, but I tend to go for closer to 50/50 between malt and honey so curious how this heavy bodied version will end up. Two pounds of rye sounds brilliant. Is it fairly spicey?

I have yet to taste it yet. I'm a glutton for punishment I suppose. It smells fantastic but I'll taste it in a few weeks. I actually developed the recipe forever ago and a buddy brewed it before I had the chance and he really liked it but I have yet to taste his either.

Finally tasted it today. A little more than two weeks in the bottle and it is still a bit green and undercarbed. However, it was pretty tasty and I can't wait to see what a little time does for this.

So this just really hit it's stride at this point and it is absolutely delicious. Maybe even too good. Just went down great and tasted great. Nice slight spiciness from the rye, on the drier side due to the honey but fantastic overall.

Additionally, my wife is a really hard critic of my beers so I know if she likes it it must be good. And she loved it. She is also a light weight and was drunk after just one.:sly:

Additionally, my wife is a really hard critic of my beers so I know if she likes it it must be good. And she loved it. She is also a light weight and was drunk after just one.:sly:

Did the honey come through strong enough? After having made it, would you change anthing to the recipe if you were to make it again?
Thanks.

Did the honey come through strong enough? After having made it, would you change anthing to the recipe if you were to make it again?
Thanks.

I would maybe add a little more flaked rye but honestly I like it as it is. And will probably not change anything when I brew it again. Honey came through just right and I'm really digging the flavor.

I would maybe add a little more flaked rye but honestly I like it as it is. And will probably not change anything when I brew it again. Honey came through just right and I'm really digging the flavor.

Would you use the same yeast again? Would S-05 work just as well?

I might give this a try. I'm curious - what is the purpose of the Cara-Pils/Dextrine?

Thanks.

Would you use the same yeast again? Would S-05 work just as well?

I might give this a try. I'm curious - what is the purpose of the Cara-Pils/Dextrine?

Thanks.

Carapils is for a better Mouthfeel, otherwise it would seem thin. I would use S-04 or any English or Irish ale yeast would work well. I'm not saying S-05 would be bad. I just prefer the English strains in this type of beer.

Carapils is for a better Mouthfeel, otherwise it would seem thin. I would use S-04 or any English or Irish ale yeast would work well. I'm not saying S-05 would be bad. I just prefer the English strains in this type of beer.

Thanks, that makes sense. I checked my inventory, and I do have a couple of packages of S-04 on hand. Once I finish my current Braggot, I hope to give this one a try.

Latest posts

Back