AG equipment...where to next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier_17

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what equipment would help me make better beer. Based on what I already have, what would you suggest I purchase next?

Already have:
10gal cooler mash tun
10gal tall boy kettle
FastFerment conical
bass pro shops burner
1/2" auto siphon
25' Copper wort chiller

I'd like to keg at some point, but better quality beer is my main concern right now...any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

If you want to improve quality then yeast starters should be next. If you want to make the brew day easier then pumps and quick connects are a good choice. Depending how much cash you want to put into things either a RIMS or HERMS system will make your mash more even and consistent from batch to batch. I have a RIMS and love it but I think growing yeast should come first.

Yeast and/or fermentation are the two that I had in mind when starting this thread. Fermentation chamber isn't in the cards yet. I always ferment inside, room temp. As far as yeast goes, I'm not sure of how to jump into that realm. Where to? I'd like to save money by reusing yeast, so this might be the direction I go.

Kegging improved my beers so much. 90% of the beers I brew are dry hopped, so being able to rack to a vessel that's been flushed with CO2 for dry hopping has been wonderful for my beers.

Yeast and/or fermentation are the two that I had in mind when starting this thread. Fermentation chamber isn't in the cards yet. I always ferment inside, room temp. As far as yeast goes, I'm not sure of how to jump into that realm. Where to? I'd like to save money by reusing yeast, so this might be the direction I go.

Fermentation temperature control made the biggest improvement to my beer. Find a way to control the temperature. It doesn't have to be the best refrigerator, even using a wet towel to cool the fermenter will be better than no control.

Even better than reusing yeast is this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/slanting-yeast-133103/

Pressure cooker, stir plate, Erlenmeyer, some vials, and a couple other things and you're set.

I'm not so sure - I actually bought all that stuff, and even made some yeast slants and collected some samples, but to be honest with you I've never grown them back up. I still use the pressure cooker to can starter wort, and I use the flask and stir plate for doing yeast starters, but I think the vials and yeast slants is overkill unless you're brewing a lot, and several different styles.

I harvest my yeast and reuse it. If I do it soon enough after harvesting (i.e., within a month), I don't even bother making a starter with it. I just dump in a jar of yeast (which is 1/4 of the yeast cake from the previous batch), and it takes off like a rocket. That said, when buying new yeast, I do indeed still use my stir plate, flask, and the aforementioned canned starter wort. But I guess what I'm saying is, don't waste money on the slants, agar, flame lamp, loop, and whatever other lab equipment is involved in slanting yeast. Your money would be better spent elsewhere, IMHO.

Aeration is critical for a good fermentation. I've tried the aquarium pump/aeration stone with good results, but it needs 30 minutes to be effective, so I've migrated to agitating rod which takes 60 seconds and has worked really well for me (add fermcap before to manage foaming).

temperature control is the biggest improvement you can make. without it these other steps might not even be noticed.

Latest posts

Back