aerating mistake on my first big beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasky99

Reaction score
I normally don't have to worry about aerating because I do partial boils and delute with non-boiled purified water, but this time I think it might matter. I did my first imperial IPA and nailed the 1.079 OG I was going for. I was kind of in a hurry so I put everything together and forgot to aerate! It was a 3.9 gal topped off to 4.5 gal brew, the fermentation is a little weak but pretty consistant. I am worried about off flavors and was wondering if it would correct it if I left it on the yeast for about a month? Is there any other corrective actions I could do?

I would not worry about the lack of aeration. You probably should have done a starter with that high OG. You could add more yeast.

At this point just control your fermentation temps and let the beer do it's thing in primary for about 3 weeks.

I would not worry about the lack of aeration. You probably should have done a starter with that high OG. You could add more yeast.

At this point just control your fermentation temps and let the beer do it's thing in primary for about 3 weeks.

Oh, I did use a starter, and the starter was well aerated. It was just the wort itself that was my concern. Keeping the temperature between 68 - 72 is turning out to be a bit harder.

Oh, I did use a starter, and the starter was well aerated. It was just the wort itself that was my concern. Keeping the temperature between 68 - 72 is turning out to be a bit harder.

I would say "No worries" then

EDIT: Yes, keep those temps at 67-68 if at all possible, you don't want esters in an IIPA

I would say "No worries" then

EDIT: Yes, keep those temps at 67-68 if at all possible, you don't want esters in an IIPA

Good news for me! Thanks a lot! Yeah the funny part is not that it is too hot, but too cold. The fermentation is about 30 hours in and when I called my wife she said that the fermometer was at 56 degrees! I had her raise the temperature in the room. I am not sure how hot the internal temperatures of 1.080 beers are though, compaired to what is on the fermometer, so I guess I am just "winging it."

Good news for me! Thanks a lot! Yeah the funny part is not that it is too hot, but too cold. The fermentation is about 30 hours in and when I called my wife she said that the fermometer was at 56 degrees! I had her raise the temperature in the room. I am not sure how hot the internal temperatures of 1.080 beers are though, compaired to what is on the fermometer, so I guess I am just "winging it."

Colder is better as long as you try to stay in the recommended range for the yeast, it just will take longer to ferment.

I use a temp controller with a FermWrap for my ales when I need to add heat. I generally ferment them in a cool box with the FermWrap maintaining 66-67F

Latest posts

Back