Aerating after fermentation just started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamir

Reaction score
Hi :)

First of all, this is for learning purposes, I'm already sitting down and enjoying a homebrew ;).

I just brewed a stout this morning, and tonight fermentation has begun.
Unfortunately, my plastic spigot was leaking.
I decided to transfer the whole thing to a different bucket and for some reason, at the moment, I thought it was good to simply pour it straight to the other bucket while splashing and aerating.

My question is - is there a risk of oxidation in aerating after fermentation had already begun?

You may be alright yeast feeds on O2 in the beginning. But you wont know if you screwed it up until its done and you taste it. Whats the worst that could happen? I have learned way more from my mistakes home brewing than anything else.

It'll be fine from oxidation effects I would assume. You sort of did a "double drop" fermentation. A ROT is that as long as the aeration occurs before peak krausen, the yeast will use up the oxygen.

In fact for really big beers, I'll sometimes aerate w/ pure O2 on the second day, briefly.

I think it already had a crown on the fermenter, so I'm not sure. Yeast is S-05 BTW.

If you brewed in the morning, and aerated it later on in the same day, the yeast will use any additional oxygen you added during the transfer. As long as it was done in a sanitary manner, you'll be fine.

Back