Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbiewinemaker

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am in some need of the HBT families advice. I have a cherry pie wine that I started almost two months ago now. It got off to a very slow fermentation and I got nervous so I dumped another package of yeast in. I used Red Start Green Packet (Cotes De Blancs) yeast both times. After about a month I transferred out of my primary bucket into my secondary carboy. I was worried with how little it was fermenting that I need to not have any headspace. Now a month later there is still signs of fermentation like bubbles rising around the sides to the top slowly. There has barely been any signs on the Hydrometer of change. It has been sitting at about 1.02 for a very long time. My question is do I cold Crash and hit it with Camden and Sorbate or just stick out the long haul and see if it finally stops?

Thanks

If it has been at 1.020 for more than 3-5 days then the yeast may be at its ABV limit or you have a stalled ferment. I would need to know your starting gravity to know for sure. The bubbles are most likely dissolved CO2 just degassing.

Give it a taste! Is it too sweet for you or do you like it? If you like it then sure, cold crash and stabilize if it is a stuck ferment because it could still pick up after degassing is complete. If at the ABV limit of the yeast then it should be fine to cold crash if you need that to clear it but no need for sorbate.

If you want it less sweet then we can talk troubleshooting but a full list of the recipe and all gravities taken would be nice.

Thanks arpolis. Unfortunately I do not think I got a very accurate sg reading at the start so all I can do is guess. I would say it was in the woods of 1.110+ it is very sweet and that is what im shooting for! I think I will cold crash and stabilize. Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

A big misconception with new winemakers is that if you add a lot of sugar to the must or juice, it will render a very sweet wine, this is very far from what really takes place.
The yeast converts the sugar into alcohol and produces CO2, the more sugar, the higher the ABV%, up to a certain point.
If the yeast has the proper conditions it will ferment all of the sugar and your wine will be dry, at this point, you can stabilize and back sweeten to your taste, remember, the more sugar, the higher the ABV and the drier it will get.
What temp do you have the wine at?
Have you added any yeast nutrient such as fermaid k?
Does the wine have any off odors?
Without knowing what your starting SG was, it is difficult to estimate where it is now.
I never disturb the wine until it has completed fermenting, racking it off of the yeast can cause it to stall or stop.
Can you post the recipe and every step that you've taken, every addition you have made? This will help to diagnose the issue.
Below you can read what tolerances this yeast has, I've never used it myself, I usually stick with Lalvin yeast for wine.

Red Star Cote de Blanc - Relatively slow fermenter, identical to Geisenheim Epernay, but producing less foam. Produces fine, fruity aromas and may be controlled by lowering temperature to finish with some residual sugar. It is recommended for reds, whites, sparkling cuvées and non-grape fruit wines (especially apple). This yeast benefits from nutrient additions and ferments best between 64°-86°F. Sensitive below 55°F. (12 – 14% alcohol tolerance)

A big misconception with new winemakers is that if you add a lot of sugar to the must or juice, it will render a very sweet wine, this is very far from what really takes place.
The yeast converts the sugar into alcohol and produces CO2, the more sugar, the higher the ABV%, up to a certain point.
If the yeast has the proper conditions it will ferment all of the sugar and your wine will be dry, at this point, you can stabilize and back sweeten to your taste, remember, the more sugar, the higher the ABV and the drier it will get.
What temp do you have the wine at?
Have you added any yeast nutrient such as fermaid k?
Does the wine have any off odors?
Without knowing what your starting SG was, it is difficult to estimate where it is now.
I never disturb the wine until it has completed fermenting, racking it off of the yeast can cause it to stall or stop.
Can you post the recipe and every step that you've taken, every addition you have made? This will help to diagnose the issue.
Below you can read what tolerances this yeast has, I've never used it myself, I usually stick with Lalvin yeast for wine.

He said it was stalled at 1.02 for a long time now I assumed several days. If stalled the cold crashing and racking to remove the bulk of yeast and then stabilizing will help make sure a restart does not occur. I think the OP is fine if they are happy with the taste now.

To the OP:

Sounds like you may have actually hit the ABV limit of Cote des Blank if the OG of 1.110 is correct. That is a potential 20ish% ABV and that yeast goes to 13%-14% and a little further if conditions are right.

So you may not need to stabilize but with an uncertain SG then it may just be safe. If this wine seems harsh, too hi on alcohol hot or has other off flavors then you may find it easier to start with an OG of something close to 1.080 and just ferment dry, stabilize and sweeten it to where you like.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. That is what I was looking for. I plan on Cold Crashing today over night and then stabilizing with sorbate and camden.

Thanks Again!

Back