Advice with WLP002 - activity stopped after 36 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayk1011

Reaction score
Please can someone tell me if this is expected from WLP002.

I step mashed 5kg of pale malt, 500g Carapils and 500g of Crystal. So 6kg of grain in total (about 12lb). Total mash time about 100 minutes.

Boiled for 1 hour and followed my hop schedule.

Chilled with my immersion chiller to 21c (about 70f) and pitched my 1l yeast starter that I made two days before with one pack of WLP002 and my trusty home made stir plate.

OG was 1.070.

Fermentation temp started at 21c (70f).

Airlock activity began after about T+6 hours, got really active from T+20 hours, but now at T+40 hours, it has almost stopped. Current fermentation temp is a little too warm for my liking at 23c (73f) but is within the guidance on the WLP002 label.

I know airlock activity is not the holy grail of fermentation, but it is a good indicator, and in the past, my brews have shown a little more activity - including my previous brew which used the same WLP002 starter.

Thanks in advance!

Like you said, airlock activity isn't the holy grail of fermentation. I'd give it a week and if you're still worried, take some gravity readings to check that fermentation is/has taken place.

Totally normal for that strain - it's a fast worker.

It also has a tendency to stop before full attenuation unless you baby it a little. If you have a way to warm it up into the low 70s F, now's a good time.

It's already at about 21 to 22c (70 - 72f) so it should be OK.

It's now been 3 days since pitching and there is still a little bit of bubbling going on. I think I'm going to be OK.

When I last used WLP002 I left it in primary for 10 days (I was keen to have it ready for Christmas) and it was one of my best brews.

Any advice on how long to leave it? Is 10 days too soon? I've never used a secondary (mainly because I don't have another bucket to use) and go straight to keg from primary.

As stated, 002 is a fast worker. You should take gravity readings to be sure, but I usually brew on one weekend and keg the next with 002. 7 days for a normal gravity beer and this yeast is plenty (definitely no secondary needed). Looking back, your gravity is a touch higher than my normal beers, so maybe an extra couple days may be prudent.

I agree with others to raise the temp a couple degrees slowly to keep the yeast active if you can.

So a couple of days ago I moved it to a warmer spot and it's been sitting at 72f. Last night I dry hopped and took a gravity reading.

1.022... not sure if I'm happy with that or not. It makes ABV 6.56% (OG was 1.072 not 1.070).

Is it done? Can I keg or leave it for a bit longer?

I'm now at T+ 1 week. I was planning on kegging on Monday (T+ 10 days).

Back