Advice to Newbies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
I have been responding in one manner to several posts lately, and I am sure that I piss some perfectionists off. My motto has been simple; get close, enjoy yourself, and it will be beer.

Recently, I hit the 200-gallon mile marker with my homebrew addiction. The biggest thing I have observed is that 99% of the time, I make beer. Sure, we like to repeat the great brews with consistency. But, what if we always make a new and exciting beer by trial an error and a little bit of slop???r-- that is okay too.. friends will likely drink your brew, and you will feel good sharing your hobby.

Don't get me wrong, I have a few brews that I make consistently, but one thing is for sure.. if I miss a mash temp, ending volume, OG of FG--- I do not fret.. I just drink and enjoy.

I'm split on this. Yes I always make beer and I'm happy with that but I want to make great beer. If something goes wrong I want to know what, why, how, etc so I can do better next time.

But you're right. In the end, I do still have beer, and I am sure I enjoyed making it.

If my goal was to just make beer I'd ferment in a toilet using bread yeast, no it would just be a wild ferment, and I'd use grape nuts for the grain bill. Some of my beers I've put great effort into might as well been done this way. I'm constantly refining my process and when a beer comes out bad i try and learn from it. I do nothing without notes. I've dumped a lot of beer others would have kept and drank.

It really depends how a person enjoys brewing. I enjoy brewing beer, no matter what the outcome. Mash temps, volumes, fermentation temps....etc, if it's a new beer I'm brewing, it's not a big deal. However if I'm brewing one of my 3 main kegged beers, I try to be a bit more consistent on those. But in the end, I will drink the beer, regardless of my inconsistencies.

I have yet to make a batch that I did not drink to completion.

I can see both sides of the comments on this thread as I think most of us can.

The "not so good" batches taught me as much, if not more than the good ones.
Who among us could say otherwise?

But I always had fun making either of the batches, and they were always beer.

Cheers to all....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If my goal was to just make beer I'd ferment in a toilet using bread yeast, no it would just be a wild ferment, and I'd use grape nuts for the grain bill. Some of my beers I've put great effort into might as well been done this way. I'm constantly refining my process and when a beer comes out bad i try and learn from it. I do nothing without notes. I've dumped a lot of beer others would have kept and drank.

You're making Papa Charlie cry.

;)

I suppose it's also the difference between being a hobbyist and an elite hobbyist.

It's like those guys who build those gigantic model airplanes and fly them at these huge competitions. The planes are meticulously maintained and they are ridiculously awesome. There are tons of youtube videos out there of these competitions. Then there are also the guys who pick up the $150 starter airplane and zip it around the neighborhood.

Both groups enjoy the outcome for what they invest and how serious they are about the events they drop in on. I feel like homebrewing (as well as most hobbies) enjoy this kind of mentality.

I say in honor of the two hundred gallon mark that you brew a beer in a toilet, "all grain" with grape nuts and bread yeast and send a bottle to all whom have replied to this. Please clean the toilet first.

I agree completely: Do your best and what happens, happens. I spend so much time trying to control my process that I forget I can't control everything. I think the saying goes "to err is human, to make beer is awesome."

I suppose it's also the difference between being a hobbyist and an elite hobbyist.

It's like those guys who build those gigantic model airplanes and fly them at these huge competitions. The planes are meticulously maintained and they are ridiculously awesome. There are tons of youtube videos out there of these competitions. Then there are also the guys who pick up the $150 starter airplane and zip it around the neighborhood.

Both groups enjoy the outcome for what they invest and how serious they are about the events they drop in on. I feel like homebrewing (as well as most hobbies) enjoy this kind of mentality.

Very good point here IMO, I race motocross and take it rather seriously. I have a newer bike and tweak my suspension and gearing for almost every track that I ride/race. But I have buddies that will buy an older bike and rip around there local field and random trails and have a blast doing so. So to each his own!! I'm assuming we are all having fun with this homebrew hobby :mug:

If I wanted to drink perfect beer every time I'd just buy it. I'm happy if I can brew pretty good beer. If I wanted to hear perfect music every time I'd just buy it. I'm happy if I can play pretty good guitar. Don't get me wrong - I shoot for perfection every time I brew or play. Perfection never happens and I try to figure out what to do better next time, but my hobbies aren't drinking perfect beer and listening to perfect music, they are the process of creating beer and creating music. Even when it doesn't work the way I intended it's almost always fun.

There's a cliche among guitar players, "The vast majority of the people in the world can't strum an open G chord. If you can do that you are a better guitar player than the vast majority of the people in the world." And there are more guitar players in the world than there are brewers. If you can successfully turn some form of malted barley into some form of drinkable beer you're a better brewer than the vast majority of the people in the world. Brew on.

I do my best on every batch to make the most of whatever recipe I'm using. Sometimes it's a whatever odds & ends I have around recipe but I make notes because maybe 11.5 oz of Vienna & 5 oz of Munich really go great in an APA and I can work from there next time. I make notes when things go wrong so that later I can decide whether I can find a fault linked to the problem. No, not every batch goes as planned and most of the time the beer is great anyway. I've had a few batches that took a long time to drink through. Can't recall actually dumping a batch, though.

If you've made 200 gallons and make beer 99% of the time, I'd like to know what those other two gallons were.

One time, I made some really cool malt-vinegar (infection when learning to wash yeast) and the other time I recall/that I still put in that mishap..was when my corny keg (right after transfer) leaked the entire batch right onto the sidewalk and into the flowers-- I call this 'beerfertilizer'.

I say in honor of the two hundred gallon mark that you brew a beer in a toilet, "all grain" with grape nuts and bread yeast and send a bottle to all whom have replied to this. Please clean the toilet first.

I agree completely: Do your best and what happens, happens. I spend so much time trying to control my process that I forget I can't control everything. I think the saying goes "to err is human, to make beer is awesome."

Brewing in a toilet would scare the $hit out of me :rockin: - However, I have been tempted to try some lambic style brewing if I thought I could get some favorable wild-yeasts.

200 gallons. I think the more you brew, the easier the science gets. Then you can relax, not worry about it and enjoy the art.

you are totally correct. I spent a ton of time in the beginning focusing on single malts, and single hops to learn each. I know what I get now if I add a bit of Crystal 40, or Munich etc.. and I know which hops I prefer and which I hate (yes there are a few). Even with 200-gallons under my belt, I KNOW that I am still a newbie since I have so many grains/hops/yeasts to try.

One thing that is for sure: I hardly ever repeat a recipe 100%.. the favorites are constantly evolving.... the evolving aspect is what keeps this hobby so interesting (to me).

If I wanted to drink perfect beer every time I'd just buy it. I'm happy if I can brew pretty good beer. If I wanted to hear perfect music every time I'd just buy it. I'm happy if I can play pretty good guitar. Don't get me wrong - I shoot for perfection every time I brew or play. Perfection never happens and I try to figure out what to do better next time, but my hobbies aren't drinking perfect beer and listening to perfect music, they are the process of creating beer and creating music. Even when it doesn't work the way I intended it's almost always fun.

There's a cliche among guitar players, "The vast majority of the people in the world can't strum an open G chord. If you can do that you are a better guitar player than the vast majority of the people in the world." And there are more guitar players in the world than there are brewers. If you can successfully turn some form of malted barley into some form of drinkable beer you're a better brewer than the vast majority of the people in the world. Brew on.

Interestingly enough, I am a musician and in the studio right now laying tracks. I consider myself a live-performer/and NOT a studio musician. I totally respect what studio players do though as I listen back to my tracks and always conclude that I need to play less, and more accurate.

I can completely see the similarity in my brewing and other areas of my life. I appreciate the creativity that brewing allows. Grant it, I brew pretty safe/in the middle batches. My big beers may top at 1.070 OG and vast majority in the 1.045-1.050 range. IBU average probably 30 and highest has been 75.. you get the point. I have stuck to a handful of yeast and 90% of the time use a dry pack & sprinkle 1/2 on top. I have had 1-stuck batch that still turned out okay- was just sweeter than I would have preferred.

Perfect analogy! this thread has become more about self-awareness for me. I am guy who actually flies RC airplanes. Mine are made from coroplast (election signs?) --- they are dang fast, aerobatic as can be, but ugly as hell. I am sure my beer can compare to that analogy at times!

Interestingly enough, I am a musician and in the studio right now laying tracks. I consider myself a live-performer/and NOT a studio musician. I totally respect what studio players do though as I listen back to my tracks and always conclude that I need to play less, and more accurate.

I can completely see the similarity in my brewing and other areas of my life. I appreciate the creativity that brewing allows. Grant it, I brew pretty safe/in the middle batches. My big beers may top at 1.070 OG and vast majority in the 1.045-1.050 range. IBU average probably 30 and highest has been 75.. you get the point. I have stuck to a handful of yeast and 90% of the time use a dry pack & sprinkle 1/2 on top. I have had 1-stuck batch that still turned out okay- was just sweeter than I would have preferred.

I'm also a musician. I have played in jazz bands, metal bands, and orchestral concerts. Yet my favorite thing to do is riff some sweet 5 note blues scales with the amp cranked up. Simple and awesome.

I say brew how you want and let it rip! Some of the best creations are based on simplicity.

And as always RDWHAHB.

Roed Haus Brewery

I have only brewed 15 gallons. The guy that showed me the ropes of brewing taught me the 3 rules of homebrew:

1: relax and drink a beer.
2: sanitize.
3: temp control.

He said rule #1 is rule #1 for a good reason, don't forget it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have only brewed 15 gallons. The guy that showed me the ropes of brewing taught me the 3 rules of homebrew:

1: relax and drink a beer.
2: sanitize.
3: temp control.

He said rule #1 is rule #1 for a good reason, don't forget it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew
Unfortunately, I did not have any mentors when I started (do now!!) -- His advice is right on.... keep brewing my friend!

^^^THIS!!!!

Brewing in a toilet would scare the $hit out of me :rockin: - However, I have been tempted to try some lambic style brewing if I thought I could get some favorable wild-yeasts.

I see what you did there...

Latest posts

Back