Advice on tweaking my AG saison kit to Tank 7ish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got this Norhern Brewer kit on sale and realized I don't want to brew it as is. I didn't buy yeast. The kit includes 10lbs Pale Malt and .75lb crystal 20 and hersbrucker hops I'm just going to set aside. I picked up 2 lbs of flaked corn and plan on adding .5 lb white wheat. I've got Magnum for bittering, simcoe and Amarillo for late additions. What yeast would you recommend - I'm leaning toward danstar belle saison but I'm open to other if I can get my hands on it. I have harvested wlp500 Trappist yeast in the fridge. I know the 12oz of crystal 20 is a bit unusual but there's no way to pick it out, it's a kit. Nevertheless will that small amount keep my FG too high for this brew?

I just purchased the ingredients to make my Tank 7 clone. Very similar grain bill and similar hops. To offset whatever residual sweetness the crystal might add, you may want to buy 2 more pounds of pale malt, and 1 more pound of flaked corn. For yeast, I plan to use Wyeast 3724 (starter) until it settles, then add Wyeast 3711 to finish it off! I've made it this way once before and it was an awesome beer!

I just purchased the ingredients to make my Tank 7 clone. Very similar grain bill and similar hops. To offset whatever residual sweetness the crystal might add, you may want to buy 2 more pounds of pale malt, and 1 more pound of flaked corn. For yeast, I plan to use Wyeast 3724 (starter) until it settles, then add Wyeast 3711 to finish it off! I've made it this way once before and it was an awesome beer!

I think that's very good feedback. However I'm doing eBIAB (I'm a noob) in an 11gal kettle and don't think I want to add 3 more lbs to the grain bill. Priceless says I'm within 2" from my rim as it is. I think I'll add 8oz table sugar at flameout and call it good. Beersmith says that'll be nearly bone dry... Also, based on availability, price and performance I'm leaning toward using Belle Saison dry yeast. None of the LHBS around here stock wyeast and the white labs selection is marginal at best.

Just an update - Brewed this May 11. Used 3lbs corn, so 13.5lbs grain bill which nearly maxed out my 11 gal kettle with basket. Hit about 1.069 and pitched WLP565. Let it rise naturally and it fermented in the low 80s... Bottled at two weeks because it was done at 1.006. It tastes great up front but I'm getting acetal in the finish. I realize now I should have let it sit another week or two to allow the yeast to clean it up. Oh well live and learn... Love this hop combo though, will be brewing again!

What temperature did you mash at? And did you do a mash-out or just a single mash with all of your water?

Sorry, just realized that was a 14.25lb grain bill... and it was very near the top. I did a full volume mash at 148 for about 75 min and raised the temp to 168 for 10 min.

Latest posts

Back