Advice on mashing doppelbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texcan2000

Reaction score
Today I am brewing my first Doppelbock. It's an un milled all grain kit from AHS.
9lbs 8 oz Munich Malt, 6lb 4 oz German Pilsner malt, 1 lb cara Munich malt and 4oz chocolate malt. My yeast starter is ready to go, WL southern german lager.
The instructions are the regular simple mash at 150F for 60 minutes. I batch sparge using Denny's technique which I've had great success with. Anyway I would like to do a bit more than simply mash at 150 for 60 minutes. Do you good folks have some advice on a decoction or step mashing that won't be super complicated on my first go?
Thank you for your time!

This doesn't answer your question, but you said "unmilled" grain? You need to crush/mill it before mashing otherwise you won't get any conversion!

As far as decoctions, you probably don't need it and it will make your brew day harder/longer. The malts are well modified and don't really require a step mash or decoction. If you want to though, go ahead!

Thank you Doc, sorry to be unclear. I will be milling it! Lol.
How about the single infusing mash at 150F? Any benefit to going a little higher? Say 155?
Edit: I ask as all recipes from AHS have 150F as mash temperature and I've read some posts online anywhere from 149 to 156F for doppelbocks.

High temp will give you more body and result in a sweeter beer. With a "big", malty beer like a doppelbock, it's a delicate balancing act, as it can be tricky to get the yeast to attenuate down to the desired FG if you mash too high or include too many crystal malts and other unfermentables in the grain bill. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

I would save the high temp mash for Scotch ales only, for a doppelbock I'd go for 150 for one hour then mash out 168 for 15 minutes. If you're feeling froggy then go ahead and jump on decocting the mash out but with all-malt all-2row grain bills there is no need for other steps. The mash out just loosens up the sugars. Oh and if you want to mimic the flavor that comes from decoction without actually doing it, add a little bit of melanoidin malt, 4 oz is plenty, a little goes a long way

If you want to throw in a step, after mashing, do a decoction to bring it to mashout temp. Might even help it lauter better.

Back