Advice on imperial stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ComcastWineRookie

Reaction score
this is a recipe that I am planning to brew. I just want some input. Can I ched is abrew this using my 10 gallon rubbermaid mash tun, or will I need to use some extract in place of some base grains? does the recipe look like it will turn out good? also planning on using the espresso and bacon for 10 days in secondary.

Maple Bacon Coffee Stout
Added By: Brewer #28439
Method: All Grain
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.106 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)
Source: Bobby Fontaine
Original Gravity: 1.145 Final Gravity: 1.036 ABV (standard): 14.29% IBU (tinseth): 52.67 SRM (morey): 40
Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
15 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 50%
2 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 6.7%
2 lb Belgian - Chocolate 30 340 6.7%
1.5 lb Belgian - Munich 38 6 5%
0.75 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 120L 33 120 2.5%
0.75 lb United Kingdom - Black Patent 27 525 2.5%
128 oz Maple Syrup 30 35 26.7%
30 lb Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1.5 oz Nugget Pellet 14 Boil 60 min 43.68
0.75 oz Mount Hood Pellet 4.8 Boil 20 min 4.53
0.75 oz Willamette Pellet 4.5 Boil 20 min 4.25
0.25 oz Mount Hood Pellet 4.8 Boil 1 min 0.11
0.25 oz Willamette Pellet 4.5 Boil 1 min 0.1
Other Ingredients
Amount Name Type Use Time
20 oz Cold Brewed Espresso Flavor Secondary 5 min
1 lb Bacon Spice Secondary 5 min
Yeast
Wyeast - Belgian Abby Ale II 1762

I have a 10 gallon, 25 lbs is about my limit. It can hold more but it gets extremely full and difficult to stir at that point. But it seems as if it is counting the maple syrup as weight for grains. So you should be fine.

Recipe looks decent. Pretty mammoth OG, so you need a very alcohol tolerant yeast or its going to crap out way high. The Abbey Ale may be that yeast, I dunno. To have enough yeast cells or the job, I would recommend brewing a smaller beer first (Patersbier or Belgian Blonde), and then using 2/3 to 3/4 of the yeast cake to ferment your RIS. If you rack the small beer at 2 weeks, the yeast will be strong and healthy. Definitely need a blow off for the big beer, leave lots of headspace.

it's only 22#s of grain, that will easily fit. fyi, even if was 30#s it could fit, i've done it, you just need to mash really thick, like 0.9qt/lb
here's a calculator for the future: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

I'd hold off on the syrup and add during fermentation. 8#s of simple sugar from the start is not a good idea in a beer this big

I'd hold off on the syrup and add during fermentation. 8#s of simple sugar from the start is not a good idea in a beer this big

I'll second this. With my big RIS's, I do all of my sugar additions after I have had a pretty good gravity drop. And these I add incrementally (normally 1lb additions) instead of all at once. 1 Gal of maple syrup in a stout. Might be good?

Is that yeast up to the task of eating all that sugar? I did an RIS with an O.G. of 1.141 and finished around 1.027-1.028. Flavor wise, I would have liked it to be a little less sweet. My next big RIS had an OG of 1.132 and finished 1.018-1.019. That one is still young and thus rough to drink, but sweetness wise, I like it better. Maybe try dropping your OG so it finishes a little drier?

Starting at 1.144 is pretty wild! Does that take into account the 1 gal of liquid added by the syrup?

Latest posts

Back