Advice from Water Guru's please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curry767

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm from Sydney Australia and we have soft water. Problem is I like West Coast style IPA's etc.

I've started mucking around with water additions to help out with improved bitterness and hop crispness.

Without opening another massive water debate, I am just after a good water profile that I can adjust Sydney water too. I want the bitterness & hops to shine.

For the record, my water breakdown is

Calcium = 13.65
Magnesium = 5.38
Sodium = 15.05
Sulfate = 9.5
Chloride = 29.75
Bicarbonate = 39.4

I found the Cal Water report for Chico, CA (AKA SN) and I was just going to use that. However I am unsure is SN treat their water.

So in summary I am after a good water breakdown for American style hoppy beers.

Cheers & thanks

Dave

Vegan could be right to raise the bicarbonate level if they are also raising the calcium level over 100 ppm. The resulting hardness would probably need the alkalinity from the bicarb to avoid depressing the mash pH too far with a typical pale ale grist with 10% crystal. But the amount of alkalinity needed is likely to be small.

For a snappy PA or IPA, I recommend a minimum sulfate concentration of 100 ppm and an upper concentration of around 300 ppm. The brewer would have to assess their own taste preference for this ion. I have enjoyed 300 ppm for about a decade of hoppy beers.

Sierra Nevada certainly does add gypsum and calcium chloride to their brewing liquor. The amounts vary with style. Do not copy the raw Chico water profile as an example of how SN brews their beers.

What about this as a basic target profile:

Calcium = 117
Magnesium = 15
Sodium = 0
Sulfate = 264
Chloride = 25
Bicarbonate = 61

I use BeerSmith 2 as my brewing computer program and I just want a target profile I can use and the software will give me the needed adjustments for my water.

I'm trying to be as simple as I can be with a potentially complex subject.

Thanks for your input guys, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

You can also add gypsum and salts after you brew as long as you have a gram scale you can test samples with different levels. You could pour a couple glasses and try out different combos. Just make sure the additions dissolve completely and make notes. You can test your threshold for certain things and see the differences.

Back