Advice for a Coffee Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenomaniac

Reaction score
I just bottled a Pecan Porter a few days ago and I'm getting ready to starting putting together a recipe for a coffee porter I want to make myself. The only part I'm not sure about how much coffee beans I need to use and how to prepare them. Anyone with experience making coffee porters have any advice for me?

I've only brewed a coffee porter once. But for my brew, I used 4.5 ounces of ground coffee directly into the boiling wort about 5 minutes before flameout.

First beer I brewed was a coffee stout. I brewed a regular stout. I did not have a secondary fermenter at the time, so I waited for the fermentation to slow(about 5 days). I brewed a strong 20oz "cup" of coffee in a French press and pitched it in the fermentor.

Turned out great.

A lot of people on here swear by cold-brewing the coffee, saying you get more flavor and less coffee bitterness if you cold brew your coffee. That being said, I have no clue as to how much you'd use. One other thing I remember reading on here is that you should wait until just before you bottle/keg and pour a little in at a time until you get just how you like the flavor, and then maybe just a little more as the flavor may fade some.

wahmbush said:
First beer I brewed was a coffee stout. I brewed a regular stout. I did not have a secondary fermenter at the time, so I waited for the fermentation to slow(about 5 days). I brewed a strong 20oz "cup" of coffee in a French press and pitched it in the fermentor. Turned out great.

+1 for French press... Cold brewing is excellent because you get the nice coffee flavor without the acidity coming out of the coffee.. And you don't get the oils that will cause you to lose head retention... Never boil coffee

I've only brewed a coffee porter once. But for my brew, I used 4.5 ounces of ground coffee directly into the boiling wort about 5 minutes before flameout.

Dont do this. Coffee beans extract bitterness when exposed to temperatures above around 205. This is why coffee left on a burner tastes completely nasty compared to the cup you got as soon as it was brewed.

Latest posts

Back