ADVANCED BREWERS SUB GROUP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazinlow86

Reaction score
Has the forum ever considered adding a advanced/pro brewing sub forum. we have a beginners but it would be nice to have some were the more advanced member could discuss brewing using more professional methods without getting mocked by the cavemen made beer/ less is more crowd? maybe a better wording is for the people that follow a professional process at home rather than just a hobby? cheers

A few questions:
1. Who gets to define “professional methods”?
2. If you're not brewing beer for sale to the public isn't it still “just a hobby”?
3. How ya gonna keep the cavemen out?

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go bang some rocks together to start the fire to heat my strike water. :cool:

A few questions:
1. Who gets to define “professional methods”?
2. If you're not brewing beer for sale to the public isn't it still “just a hobby”?

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go bang some rocks together to start the fire to heat my strike water. :cool:

So backwards... Never heard of the stick and bow technique for ignition? You're so 20000 BC...

it would be nice to have some were the more advanced member could discuss brewing using more professional methods without getting mocked by the cavemen made beer/ less is more crowd?

The more (forums) the merrier! I think as a group everyone on HBT is respectful of others views, even if they disagree.
Note: I've had some "pro beer" that cost $6 a glass that I suppose was made by an "advanced brewer" that really was not very good at all.
Keeping an open mind and taking a less is more approach might be a good thing in some circumstances?
I would encourage all advanced/pro brewers and cavemen to post more questions and comments, seems like the new posts have thinned out recently.

Has the forum ever considered adding a advanced/pro brewing sub forum. we have a beginners but it would be nice to have some were the more advanced member could discuss brewing using more professional methods without getting mocked by the cavemen made beer/ less is more crowd? maybe a better wording is for the people that follow a professional process at home rather than just a hobby? cheers

I agree with @grampamark above--what do you mean by advanced, or professional? That you use RO water? That you have your own RO system? That you use mash techniques (never extract!)? That you use HERMS or RIMS or LODO or electric or advanced fermenters or.... ?

I think a lot of how a thread develops has to do with the title of the thread and how the OP introduces the topic. If it's proposed in a beginner-type language, e.g. "How do I use pumps in brewing?" you're likely to get a lot of chaff among the wheat. If the intent of the OP in such a thread is to identify, e.g., how best to orient pumps to limit dead space, prime them effectively, or switch them, then a thread title like "How to most effectively configure my pumps?" would lead to better information.

A bigger threat, IMO, is the trolls. And maybe that's what you're more concerned with.

The only way to limit those with nothing constructive to say except that the Egyptian Pharaohs were modern brewmasters, or that our American forefathers brewed WAY better beer than we give them credit for, or RDWHAHB, is to limit access to a forum and moderate those who get out of line. You can't see our forum unless you register.

We have zero chaff at out LOB.com forum, but we also have much less traffic. If you desire an open forum, you have to deal with with that fact that everyone gets an opinion.

[QUOTE="RPIScotty, post: 8611305]You can't see our forum unless you register[/QUOTE]

I belong to an aviation board which is set up this way. It's not so much to keep out trolls, or make it a private circle jerk for a select few true believers, however, and it's really not moderated at all. The purpose was to create a place where folks with a common interest could gather online to share that interest but also discuss whatever else came to mind. The board doesn't accept advertising and the geeks who built it set out to deliberately make the board invisible to bots.

It's worked pretty well, (a Google search for aviation topics won't turn up any links to the board) but the admins are kept busy deleting accounts and blocking IP addresses.

I belong to an aviation board which is set up this way. It's not so much to keep out trolls, or make it a private circle jerk for a select few true believers, however, and it's really not moderated at all. The purpose was to create a place where folks with a common interest could gather online to share that interest but also discuss whatever else came to mind. The board doesn't accept advertising and the geeks who built it set out to deliberately make the board invisible to bots.

It's worked pretty well, (a Google search for aviation topics won't turn up any links to the board) but the admins are kept busy deleting accounts and blocking IP addresses.

It's worked well and people feel comfortable sharing their thoughts and asking questions.

It's worked well and people feel comfortable sharing their thoughts and asking questions.

Well, mostly we share inside jokes, to the bafflement of newcomers, post goofy pictures, share recipes and pictures of kids/grandkids, and generally waste a little time online. Oh, there is some aviation content, which is often preceded by a spoiler alert. :rolleyes:

Mostly, it's an online community, the members of which share a common interest, but the emphasis is on the community not the geeking out over airplanes.

some were [sic] the more advanced member could discuss brewing using more professional methods without getting mocked by the cavemen

I guess you don't pay much attention to this forum. You better not make any posts based on experience alone without having a 130 page research study to show the microbiological evidence to support it. Sometimes I just want to know how people (homebrewers) perform a certain technique/method and their outcomes without being criticized by someone who claims to be an expert because they read this article once somewhere and have no actual experience with said technique. If you want pro opinions go to the pro forums...

Oh, even the mods jump in on the mockery here...so good luck on your quest!

I'm personally not interested. It would be just one more sub-forum in which to post the same stuff that should be in one of the many other sub-forums that are already dedicated to individual "advanced" topics. (yeast, science, electric, kegging, DIY, etc. etc.)

I agree with @grampamark above--what do you mean by advanced, or professional? That you use RO water? That you have your own RO system? That you use mash techniques (never extract!)? That you use HERMS or RIMS or LODO or electric or advanced fermenters or.... ?

I think a lot of how a thread develops has to do with the title of the thread and how the OP introduces the topic. If it's proposed in a beginner-type language, e.g. "How do I use pumps in brewing?" you're likely to get a lot of chaff among the wheat. If the intent of the OP in such a thread is to identify, e.g., how best to orient pumps to limit dead space, prime them effectively, or switch them, then a thread title like "How to most effectively configure my pumps?" would lead to better information.

A bigger threat, IMO, is the trolls. And maybe that's what you're more concerned with.
It's the trolls that drive me nuts. It seems there's generally 2 types of brewers. The ones that's prefer to do as little as possible and spend the least amount of time/money possible and feel that making excellent beer is easy and the types like yourself mongoose that takes your beer very seriously similar to a professional and know that excellent beer takes alot of effort. It would be nice to have a area were brewers that are always improving there process can discuss improvements without getting trolled. Cheers

Trolling isn't allowed, but with so many posts every day the admins just can't read each and every one.

There is a solution to trolling, though- under every post is a "report" button, and that sends a notice directly to us that something needs to be looked at. It's anonymous, and it works. We do respond to all reports, and often (but not always) take action.

Trolling isn't allowed, but with so many posts every day the admins just can't read each and every one.

There is a solution to trolling, though- under every post is a "report" button, and that sends a notice directly to us that something needs to be looked at. It's anonymous, and it works. We do respond to all reports, and often (but not always) take action.

And we appreciate it Yoop!

It's not obvious trolling all the time. Maybe a better example is someone asking about advancing there brewing by doing water adjustments etc and then getting 25 responses along the lines of "you don't need to do any of that I don't and my beers and its excellent" or " sure if you like wasting your time" or "brulosophy already debunked everything" etc. It would just be nice to have a place were if you believe you can always be improving your process it can be discussed without getting detailed by those types of comments. Cheers

It's not obvious trolling all the time. Maybe a better example is someone asking about advancing there brewing by doing water adjustments etc and then getting 25 responses along the lines of "you don't need to do any of that I don't and my beers and its excellent" or " sure if you like wasting your time" or "brulosophy already debunked everything" etc. It would just be nice to have a place were if you believe you can always be improving your process it can be discussed without getting detailed by those types of comments. Cheers

That's kind of part of the equation unfortunately. I don't like that anymore than anyone else but it kind of goes with the territory for an open forum.

The best part about open forums is that everyone gets to have an opinion.

The worst part about open forums is that everyone gets to have an opinion.

Separating the Wheat from the Chaff is half the fun anyway. Makes you sharper and hopefully helps you deal with people better.

Most threads have those types of responses. My solution there is to skip to the next post. It has been my advise when someone asks about something, read all the responses. If there is an idea that is supported by many responses, take that as a positive. If you see an idea and only one responder supports that, skip it and read on. A similar thing is when you look at ratings. I don't just look at the fact there are negative ratings, I read those. Many times the persons giving a negative rating are using the item incorrectly, using it for a purpose it was not designed for or giving a negative rating about something than has nothing to do with the item.

Hey I resemble that remark!

Not sure what "advanced" means. Some of these dudes do some very creative things as home brewers especially with Hazy IPAs. Some have awesome home made equipment. Some have awesome retail stuff. Lots of water chemistry information. BTW, I have more Neanderthal genes then 80% of the general population but..good luck keeping me out! [emoji6]

For the record my Home Depot bucket fermentation techniques make better beers then 75% of the stuff I buy....minus hazy ipas. [emoji20]

Last edited:
I'd say if your adding grain to your tap water,adding dry yeast at the end and that's it your probably not a advanced brewer. I'd say someone that's doing water adjustments, monitoring and controlling temps accurately, checking ph, pitching the correct amount of yeast, concentrates on consistency, Lodo, closed transfers etc are "advanced". Cheers

Maybe I should just take this advise haha. Cheers
Screenshot_20190607-101108.jpeg

Can somebody define “trolling”?

It appears that, at least to some folks, anyone who has a different opinion is a troll. That's not really how it works.

I've been wasting time on the Web for >25 years now. There seems to be a consensus that a troll is someone who is being deliberatively provocative without actually adding anything to a discussion. I see some of that here. I also see, however, people who get all whiny and butthurt when someone makes a rational, thoughtful case for a different method, process, ingredient or piece of equipment, that doesn’t completely agree with the butthurt one’s point of view. Just as there is more than one way to skin the proverbial cat, there are numerous ways to brew beer. Those who are convinced that there can only be One True Way will probably always be disappointed when participating in an open forum. When those folks resort to calling everyone with a different opinion a troll they aren't adding any more to the conversation than those who are deliberately trying to get someone’s goat.

My suggestion to those who are truly dedicated to a particular, narrowly defined, method of brewing is to either grow a thicker skin or to lock themselves away in a private forum where they can all preach to the choir. I don't think those brewers will ever be happy on a large, open forum like HBT.

I'd say if your adding grain to your tap water,adding dry yeast at the end and that's it your probably not a advanced brewer. I'd say someone that's doing water adjustments, monitoring and controlling temps accurately, checking ph, pitching the correct amount of yeast, concentrates on consistency, Lodo, closed transfers etc are "advanced". Cheers
If you have specific questions, I can either answer them or point you to threads about it.

It's the trolls that drive me nuts. It seems there's generally 2 types of brewers. The ones that's prefer to do as little as possible and spend the least amount of time/money possible and feel that making excellent beer is easy and the types like yourself mongoose that takes your beer very seriously similar to a professional and know that excellent beer takes alot of effort. It would be nice to have a area were brewers that are always improving there process can discuss improvements without getting trolled. Cheers

damn isn't this why i got cussed off the brew science forum? lol

(and, 'there' might sound the same as 'their'...but it's just not the same thing....and i also always get corrected with 'alot' too...and for that matter 'the ones that's prefer'?....and yes i know, i'm 'know' linguist , lol )

Can somebody define “trolling”?

It appears that, at least to some folks, anyone who has a different opinion is a troll. That's not really how it works.

I've been wasting time on the Web for >25 years now. There seems to be a consensus that a troll is someone who is being deliberatively provocative without actually adding anything to a discussion. I see some of that here. I also see, however, people who get all whiny and butthurt when someone makes a rational, thoughtful case for a different method, process, ingredient or piece of equipment, that doesn’t completely agree with the butthurt one’s point of view. Just as there is more than one way to skin the proverbial cat, there are numerous ways to brew beer. Those who are convinced that there can only be One True Way will probably always be disappointed when participating in an open forum. When those folks resort to calling everyone with a different opinion a troll they aren't adding any more to the conversation than those who are deliberately trying to get someone’s goat.

My suggestion to those who are truly dedicated to a particular, narrowly defined, method of brewing is to either grow a thicker skin or to lock themselves away in a private forum where they can all preach to the choir. I don't think those brewers will ever be happy on a large, open forum like HBT.
Trolling in this case is the people that have to hop into any post were someone is discussing upgrading there process to tell them that its a waste of time because they don't do anything but the least possible and make better beer than 99% of the stuff out there. Then it turns into a big debate and eventually gets locked. Unfortunately it seems it's generally the don't do anything people who don't have open minds as they would have to do alot of extra stuff to see first hand the difference. Typically the more advanced brewers have brewed both ways and know first hand that doing the advanced extras makes a big difference. Cheers

I'd say if your adding grain to your tap water,adding dry yeast at the end and that's it your probably not a advanced brewer.

I use tap water for my Hard Lemonades since I need higher pH to counteract the acid of the concentrate. I mostly use Safale05 in stouts I'm going to add flavors to since I don't want clashing flavors. Guess that makes me a caveman..

Trolling in this case is the people that have to hop into any post were someone is discussing upgrading there process to tell them that its a waste of time because they don't do anything but the least possible and make better beer than 99% of the stuff out there. Then it turns into a big debate and eventually gets locked. Unfortunately it seems it's generally the don't do anything people who don't have open minds as they would have to do alot of extra stuff to see first hand the difference. Typically the more advanced brewers have brewed both ways and know first hand that doing the advanced extras makes a big difference. Cheers
IOW, they don't agree with you, you don't agree with them. Like I was sayin’...

It cuts both ways.

I use tap water for my Hard Lemonades since I need higher pH to counteract the acid of the concentrate. I mostly use Safale05 in stouts I'm going to add flavors to since I don't want clashing flavors. Guess that makes me a caveman..
Doesn't make you a caveman but possibly not a advanced brewer. Do you believe that you could be making better beer if you wanted too? Are you convinced that doing anything more than you currently are would be a complete waste of time and most definitely wouldn't make a better end product? Would you say your beers better than your favorite store bought? Cheers

I know some professional brewers that use dry yeast at their breweries....
I think alot of them do. That said if you know any that literally do nothing else post them up so we can avoid them . Cheers

Doesn't make you a caveman but possibly not a advanced brewer. Do you believe that you could be making better beer if you wanted too? Are you convinced that doing anything more than you currently are would be a complete waste of time and most definitely wouldn't make a better end product? Would you say your beers better than your favorite store bought? Cheers
The important question is about your beers...not mine.

I think alot of them do. That said if you know any that literally do nothing else post them up so we can avoid them . Cheers

Some of the best beers I've ever made were done with US05, BRY97 and Lallemand Abbaye.

Some of the best beers I've ever made were done with 3787, 1214 and 1762.

It's all relative. I'm not going to shun a brewery that uses Dry yeast.

Funny story about this. I joined a local homebrew group early in my brewing career, hoping to find sources of wisdom and such that would accelerate my learning. Well. This was about 4 months into my brewing, and I found at the meeting that I knew things nobody, and I mean nobody, apparently had ever heard of. Things like batch sparging, doing things to the water, controlling fermentation temps, and so on. The value of that group quickly became social, not informational.

[And I don't push people much there in terms of knowledge; the LHBS owner organizes this group, and a lot of the people in the group buy kits from him. I don't want to hurt his business, we need him. So I often stand mute when it comes to talking about methods, which is rare enough, as there's a big gulf between where I am, and where most of the rest are.]

This is why HBT has been so important to my growth as a brewer. And I absolutely know where you're coming from--you want people to bounce ideas off of, who will challenge your ideas and make you explain and defend them, who will tell you if you're doing something that isn't likely smart. But people who will do that with an eye toward helping, not being a troll or a know-it-all or a jerk.

I have a very good friend here on HBT who serves that purpose for me. We met here online (!), exchanged a bunch of emails, he pushed me a bit to try some things. We have similar setups in many respects, so that what one does, the other can relate to relatively well. Heck, we went to the BYO Asheville boot camp together, and we live 1000 miles apart. He's my guy who I can bounce things off of, who will be a reality check, who can give me ideas.

He's put me onto a few things that are very....out of the mainstream. I've started using hop shots instead of bittering hops because of him. Bought a conical but I'm doing weird LODO things with it. Partly his fault, too. :) We talk about fermentation, different yeast ideas, this 'n' that. He's helped me immensely in moving forward.

I suspect greatly this is what you want a subforum to be--at least, it's what I'd want it to be.

<thinking out loud ON> Makes me wonder if a small conversation group might serve that purpose. The problem with groups is the larger they get, the more likely you are to encounter someone who rubs you the wrong way. I suspect that's what ends up happening in many threads, inevitably it seems. <OFF>

And, yes, I suspect you're right about there being two types of brewers, but I don't have bad thoughts about those whose desire to push the envelope ended early on. It's ok if you only want to brew extract recipe kits, people have the right to choose what makes them happy.

[And there's maybe a 3rd type, those who would like to push the envelope but lack the time or resources to do that. My kids are grown; 15 years ago this wouldn't have been possible for me.]

Problem for you (and me, and some others) is that we want to be out on the bleeding edge, working without a net, trying new ideas because our knowledge of brewing suggests it might work. And even if it doesn't work, we'll have enjoyed the exploration very much.

Sadly, I don't think there's a way you can make this happen on HBT. Those things evolve organically. Yeah, you'll have the less-dedicated types in threads where you may not want their "input," but that's probably the price of getting the others' input you do want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back