Additions to add to basic ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruhaha

Reaction score
Wanted to try experimenting with some flavor additions to my basic wheat beer. Using a neutral yeast like WLP001 in a 50/50 wheat/pils base, I'm asking for advice on the best and safest way to infuse flavors.

I'm thinking for the summer a cucumber, basil infusion would be fun to try. But....how do I go about this? Soak cuke/basil in vodka and pitch during the latter stages of fermentation? Honestly, I"m just beginning my research and have no clue how to start. Any input is very appreciated!!!

One option is to make a tincture, by soaking the cucumber and basil in a jar of vodka, then add the tincture or flavored vodka at bottling or kegging. A second option is to add your flavorings to your secondary, like dry hopping. The third is to add them to your boil.

One option is to make a tincture, by soaking the cucumber and basil in a jar of vodka, then add the tincture or flavored vodka at bottling or kegging. A second option is to add your flavorings to your secondary, like dry hopping. The third is to add them to your boil.

I would think creating a tincture would make the infusion safe since any bacteria would be killed off. I'll assume I strain the solids and pitch the tincture to taste?

What about food grade extracts? I read that flavors like watermelon are available and would guess that an extract is the easiest addition at kegging. I'll just have to search extracts some, but my guess is fruits will be the most widely available.

My radar screen: Watermelon, cucumber, basil, pineapple, jalapeno

Thanks!

I would think creating a tincture would make the infusion safe since any bacteria would be killed off. I'll assume I strain the solids and pitch the tincture to taste?

What about food grade extracts? I read that flavors like watermelon are available and would guess that an extract is the easiest addition at kegging. I'll just have to search extracts some, but my guess is fruits will be the most widely available.

Thanks!

You're exactly right, that the vodka takes care of any concerns you have regarding wild yeasts or bacteria, and that you only add the liquid from a tincture.

There are extracts made especially for brewing, if you take a look at a homebrew supply store or homebrew supply website you'll find lots of them. Some people like them, some don't, I've used a vanilla extract once that was ok, but not great.

For the jalapeno, de-seeding and de-ribbing it and adding it to the secondary works well for a friend of mine. i think he also briefly soaks the peppers in vodka before adding, for sanitation purposes.

Let us know how things turn out!

Instead of cukes you may want to use borage or salad burnet. These are herbs with cucumber like flavor. It may work well with the basil tinture.

Thanks!

I would consider doing more research into the individual ingredients and the processes people have come up with for getting the best out of them before settling on an extract. There is quality stuff out there but I've used most of the ingredients you listed to good effect without needing tinctures or extracts. Plus a lot of the extracts taste very artificial.

I would consider doing more research into the individual ingredients and the processes people have come up with for getting the best out of them before settling on an extract. There is quality stuff out there but I've used most of the ingredients you listed to good effect without needing tinctures or extracts. Plus a lot of the extracts taste very artificial.

I was afraid, as you made a good point, that extracts could have a very artificial twang. I went ahead and minced some jalapenos and covered them in vodka. If this works out, I was thinking of trying a pineapple, jalapeno wheat beer. I was reading some online materials where one brewer says the all natural pineapple extract he used was very natural tasting. The flip side of the coin is natural ingredients in their natural state are always the most familiar to us. If I grilled and caramelized fresh pineapple slices and racked the beer (secondary) on the macerated pineapple, I bet that would be tasty. Grilling may kill any bacteria I hope.

I'll continue to read and decide. I have pretty much stuck to Pilsners and Wheat beers, so this will be a slight wander off my beaten path. I just got back from a week long beer experience in Asheville NC, and the menu boards are full of funky cool ideas for beers. I am ready for an adventure, and if it is not the best thing I ever made, experimenting is half the fun.:)

I was afraid, as you made a good point, that extracts could have a very artificial twang. I went ahead and minced some jalapenos and covered them in vodka. If this works out, I was thinking of trying a pineapple, jalapeno wheat beer. I was reading some online materials where one brewer says the all natural pineapple extract he used was very natural tasting. The flip side of the coin is natural ingredients in their natural state are always the most familiar to us. If I grilled and caramelized fresh pineapple slices and racked the beer (secondary) on the macerated pineapple, I bet that would be tasty. Grilling may kill any bacteria I hope.

I'll continue to read and decide. I have pretty much stuck to Pilsners and Wheat beers, so this will be a slight wander off my beaten path. I just got back from a week long beer experience in Asheville NC, and the menu boards are full of funky cool ideas for beers. I am ready for an adventure, and if it is not the best thing I ever made, experimenting is half the fun.:)

Peppers do well in tinctures IMO. I actually know people that put Hungarian wax peppers in their bottles of brandy and the amount of pure pepper flavor it pulls is impressive. They do dry hop well too though.
Ive done 2 brews with pineapple. One was a pineapple pseudo lager and the other a blood orange pineapple berliner. For both I dry hopped the keg with a bag of Dole frozen pineapple chunks and thought best results were after couple days on fruit. If you let it go too long it sort of tastes like Emergen-C and also kills head retention.
Are you kegging or bottling? If your kegging I think cold side additions give the best results when it comes to fruit.

Peppers do well in tinctures IMO. I actually know people that put Hungarian wax peppers in their bottles of brandy and the amount of pure pepper flavor it pulls is impressive. They do dry hop well too though.
Ive done 2 brews with pineapple. One was a pineapple pseudo lager and the other a blood orange pineapple berliner. For both I dry hopped the keg with a bag of Dole frozen pineapple chunks and thought best results were after couple days on fruit. If you let it go too long it sort of tastes like Emergen-C and also kills head retention.
Are you kegging or bottling? If your kegging I think cold side additions give the best results when it comes to fruit.

I keg exclusively, and as usual for many of my beers, I treat the kegging process as a cold lagering secondary.

Berliner Weisse is at the top of my beer list. There is a local brewery called Wicked Weed who makes the most awesome sours I can describe. They rack the beers on cherries during a barrel souring (Brett) process. Awesome, and I bet you'll have had a local beer, Westbrook Gose before...prime!

I'll hope you'll supply a few more tips as I prepare my ingredients for my new beer.

I keg exclusively, and as usual for many of my beers, I treat the kegging process as a cold lagering secondary.

Berliner Weisse is at the top of my beer list. There is a local brewery called Wicked Weed who makes the most awesome sours I can describe. They rack the beers on cherries during a barrel souring (Brett) process. Awesome, and I bet you'll have had a local beer, Westbrook Gose before...prime!

I'll hope you'll supply a few more tips as I prepare my ingredients for my new beer.

Your set then! Dry hopping the keg is my favorite approach. I use one of these http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Hop-Filter-with-Lid-275-x-115-300-Micron-Mesh_p_4621.html for everything. Fruit, coffee, oak, cocoa, even Reeses cereal lol. You can use a muslin bag but Im definitely a fan of these stainless filters.
If you have any questions feel free to ask away. I don't know everything but Ive learned a few things from trying out different stuff.

Back