adding yeast at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schweitzer22

Reaction score
Hey all I just read in a book that if your beer is over 10% alcohol you should add yeast at bottling. I actually just made a very strong ale did I do something wrong by not adding the yeast? Thanks.

It's not a bad idea, but not usually necessary either. If it's still not carbonating after 4-6 weeks (bigger beers can take longer) you can always sprinkle in a bit of dry yeast into each bottle if needed.

It partly depends too on how healthy/vigorous the fermentation was (which is a good indicator of overall yeast health and numbers) and how long the beer has sat before bottling. For some of my high gravity beers I let them bulk age in secondary for months before bottling. I always add new yeast to these. But if you have only let it sit for a few weeks and had a good fermentation, your yeast are probably fine. However, the bigger beers tend to take longer to carb up - at 10% ABV, even healthy yeast are in less than ideal shape. Patience is key.

Back