adding yeast at bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyoast

Reaction score
Hello all,
I recently brewed a mini batch of a triple (my first) that's going to weigh in at around 10% ABV when it finishes, I got the recipe out of a Brooklyn Brew shop book and used S-33 for the yeast which shows to be tolerant up to around 11.5% ABV.. To all of you high gravity brewers out there, would you recommend adding a little yeast to the bottles when its time? I have it in secondary now and plan to cold crash for a couple of days before I bottle.

Thanks in advance!

On 10/10..got it off the yeast yesterday and was thinking of leaving it in there for a couple weeks to clear up a little, then crash and bottle... I don't plan on cracking one open for a couple months after bottling at least as I'm sure that it'll prolly take awhile to mature.

You don't need to add yeast at bottling, there will still be some in suspension. If you are worried, stir up the cake a tiny bit when transferring to the bottling bucket to get a little more yeast into suspension (it will still settle out clear after it is done carbonating) but even that is unnecessary.

I just used it in a wit. Got some noticeable banana from it fermenting warm. Not overpowering, but noticeable. Not sure how well it does on the lower end of the temp range so I can't speak for the clove or peppery esters. I got it on bad advice but it worked out well. Next time I'll use T-58. S-33 stalled on me and needed some nursing to finish the job.

I just used it in a wit. Got some noticeable banana from it fermenting warm. Not overpowering, but noticeable. Not sure how well it does on the lower end of the temp range so I can't speak for the clove or peppery esters. I got it on bad advice but it worked out well. Next time I'll use T-58. S-33 stalled on me and needed some nursing to finish the job.

S-33 takes off like a jet though even though the landing could be a bit hard.

I fermented at around 68 deg ambient..it claims to be in range up to 77. I'll let you guys know if I taste any bananas. Thanks for the advise. I'll just prime and bottle as usual.

Latest posts

Back