Adding two more taprites inline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerj

Reaction score
I'm so confused. I bought my initial two tap system through kegconnections.com all assembled. So I don't know the parts/pieces well.

I just want to add two more red knobs in line to this:
Dual_Body_Taprite_Regulator_with_text_copy__54590.1408538600.1280.1280.jpg

But I can't find anyway to just buy two of the valves/knobs without also buying a main pressure guage.

What am I missing?

You will need a secondary regulator...just search that. If you want to just keep them in a series like above, you will also need a 1/4" flare nipple I think...

It says it is a low pressure? I don't understand why I can't just buy the same units I already have.

00de1d314ebbc62c0cf7e8a1a326.jpg

It says it is a low pressure? I don't understand why I can't just buy the same units I already have.

00de1d314ebbc62c0cf7e8a1a326.jpg

Regulalators have a high pressure side and a low pressure side. The high side takes the high pressure from the tank. This is where the regulators attach to each other and the tank. These are the side holes.

Then high pressure gas goes through the low pressure side to get dialed down to lower pressures. These are the top and bottom holes. They go to the keg or to a secondary regulator. Low pressure is dialed down to the low side for serving or to lower the gas pressure so a secondary (low pressure) regulator can be used.

So high pressure = input and low pressure = output

You can take the high pressure gauge off the dual primary regulator set up in that above image and add another 100 more primary regulators in line if you want. These would all be considered primary regulators because they can all handle the high pressure from the co2 tank.

Or, you can do a secondary regulator. So you would have to have a high pressure regulator on the co2 thank (to take the high pressure) then it will dial down the pressure to say 30psi where you would put a series of low pressure regulators (they only take a couple hundred lb of pressure vs the high pressure at 1000+/- psi)

The secondary regulator would connect in series through nipples or tubes, this depends on what you have installed. That second photo shows nipples, so a hose would connect to the inlet and outlet. The primary would feed low pressure gas to the series of secondaries. Now the secondaries control the serving pressure of the kegs.

Primary controls gas to secondary, secondary controls gas to keg.

You can do one primary and 4 secondary for 4 kegs
You can do 2 primary and have one go to a keg and the other go to a series of other secondary.

You can do it however. But you really only NEED one high pressure regulator connected to the co2 tank. The rest doesn't really matter. Secondary regulators are just "easier" and allow you to mount them on the side of the kegerator vs having a bunch connected awkwardly to a tank.

If you have that dual primary set up shown above with the red knobs, buy another one, take off the high pressure gauge, add a left threaded 1/4" nipple to the hole, take off the step of the other regulator (that connects to the co2 tank) and add it in line with the others through that nipple.

So...if you were going to put two more on inline...which would you go with? I'm concerned that there are little fittings and sizings that I may get wrong.

So...if you were going to put two more on inline...which would you go with? I'm concerned that there are little fittings and sizings that I may get wrong.

I do primary to secondary regulators.

Most people don't do more than 2 primary regulators on a co2 tank. If they do more kegs, they normally get secondary regulators and/or gas manifolds.

Manifolds are only good if you serve all your beer at the same pressure/co2 volume. If you serve a wheat and a stout on one gas pressure, you end up with over carbed stout or under carbed wheat.

Regulators come with left or right handed threaded fittings. Most new ones are left while older are right. Look on the back of the reg, it will say LH or LEFT threads.

So all you need is a 1/4" left thread nipple to connect more regulators in series. But you should consider secondary regulators in my opinion. Or get a manifold if the kegs are all the same serving pressure/co2 volume.

I have found kegconnection.com to be helpful in the past. They have a number to call and videos online. I think this specific topic is covered in a video. I'm finishing up a keezer right now. I have to say though, silentdrinker may have done a better job.

I do primary to secondary regulators.

Most people don't do more than 2 primary regulators on a co2 tank. If they do more kegs, they normally get secondary regulators and/or gas manifolds.

Agreed. I've seen people with 4-5 primaries in series coming of the tank, it looks extremely top heavy and to me just seems like an accident waiting to happen. Also, if you ever want to have your tank outside you would need to run all those lines into the keezer. I have one primary regulator on a big tank outside that runs to the manifolds and secondary inside. You could daisy chain as many secondaries as you want inside and run each keg on it's own pressure, but it's just one line going in. The second line from your current dual primary could be kept outside for easy access for purging, high pressure carbing at room temp, whatever.

Chickypad...that is helpful.

After looking at the cost of bulkheads (@ $15 without tail pieces)...ugg, to run four of those through my keezer collar? Nah. A couple more questions:

1. I don't see that these bulkheads are SS? Why would I spend all the money on SS for my faucets, shanks, tailpieces....and then not have SS all the way?

2. How many people just run the hose straight through the collar without a bulkhead? I still like the look of a eschusion of some sort on either side.

3. What is the best way to clamp and secure a CO2 tank (top heavy with regulators) to the outside of a keezer?

Well, $12 each plus shipping for stainless, plus the swivel nuts & barbs, so your point is made.

But totally worth it, imo. It's what I use on my keezer and two brewery fridges.

As for the tank, some folks use brackets made for fire extinguishers, screwed into the back or side of their collars (keezers) or a safe spot on the exterior sheet metal (kegerator)...

Cheers!

Sorry I'm totally not handy and not sure I know what you mean by bulkeads and eschusions (the hubby built the keezer for me). On my old keezer that was the collar type he just drilled a hole in the back of the collar to run the gas line through then sealed with silicone. IMO it's worth it to pay for SS for anything that touches beer. As far as the tank we live in earthquake country and have a 20 lb tank so we've got big screw eye hooks drilled into the studs in the wall next to the keezer that hold the tank in place with a belt.

Just checking to make sure you're aware that you can also just put some hose barb tees on those existing regulator outputs to hit more kegs with gas. Sure you'll have to stick to pairs of pressures, but in most cases it's not an unreasonable compromise.

I agree with the others that having a 4-body primary attached directly to your tank would make for an incredibly top-heavy situation that could end badly. However, if you wanted a bank of primaries inside your keezer and the tank outside, you can go with a high-pressure hose from the tank to the remote primary bank. This is what I'll be doing with my soon-to-be-completed keezer project, where I'll have the tank outside the freezer and a bank of four primaries (2x Tapright dual body regs connected with a LH 1/4 NPT nipple).

I asked adventures in homebrewing about that high pressure hose.... The dude on the phone made it sound like that wasn't a good way to go. They don't carry these hoses. Hmmm

There's nothing wrong with using the high pressure hose but you definitely need the correct type. If you're set on getting another 2 unique pressures, you can add this secondary:

CO2regulatordualsecondary-2T.jpg

$69

Sounds like the AIH dude just doesn't know much about them. Keg Connection also sells them and has a couple product reviews, both positive. According the KC description, the hose is manufactured by Taprite.

I went with another pair of the taprite regulators and I'll run the high pressure hose out to the tank. It's pricey and over the top, but at this point I just need something clean and straight forward. I'm used to having complete control over the two regulators I already have.

Plus...its my 40th birthday present to myself! I'm throwing a big party in August and want to have five beers on (one will be in the little portable rig I'm putting together).

Further, I'll be using this system for a long long time. I believe in buying good gear and buying it once!

thx again!

Latest posts

Back