Adding Priming Sugar to Sour Pre-Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawbadger

Reaction score
I've got two sour saisons i've been souring and aging for a little over a year. I'm ready to bottle them this weekend along with a Brett Trois IPA.

I'm planning on going for 2.5 vol of carbonation and adding a little US05 to help things. I've read that some people like to add a little priming sugar to the fermenter a day or two before bottling to "wake up" the sach and bugs.

I was wondering people's thoughts on this and if there's really any benefits to it as opposed to priming a sour as normal.

I recently tried this in a different way.
I had three batches of beer aged on oak and Brett for about 7 months and decided to give the Brett a feed about two weeks before to get some action going again(about 12oz of 1035 wort). I the bottled with priming sugar as normal and was pleased to find(couldn't wait any longer) that after only 10 days or so I had a decent level of carbonation.

I just add it like normal to my sours. I manually calculate my sugar based on a lower residual carb level depending on how long it sat. I am fairly lazy and this pre priming sounds like redundant work.

Back