Adding Plate Chiller To RIMS BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I think Santa will be bringing me a plate chiller for Christmas and I would like to be prepared with how to use it......

As you can see from my crude drawing below, I am currently using a RIMS Tube while mashing (control box not seen) and then I am gravity dumping directly into the fermenter from the boil kettle. This gravity dump is oxygenated through a .5 micron stone with 100% O2.

When I add the plate chiller into the mix (proposed setup), can I pump the wort from the boil kettle, through the plate chiller, through the RIMS Tube, and oxygenate at that point into the fermenter? The reasoning for sending it through the RIMS Tube would be so that I can monitor the chilled wort temperature. Is there a better way?

Thanks!

IMG_20161215_094632928.jpg

IMG_20161215_094632928.jpg

You defiantly want to bypass the chiller while circulating the mash, you don't want pieces of grain getting stuck in there.

It is recommended to sanitize the plate chiller (and rims tube in this config) with boiling wort for 5-10 minutes before you start your cooling.
While the wort is still boiling you will want to circulate through the proposed setup back into the BK with the cooling water off.

What are you using between your BK and plate chiller to capture hops? It is unlikely that you will completely clog the chiller but filling it with hop debris makes it super hard to get cleaned.
You will want to use a hop spider or similar tool in the BK.

Yeah, I started with nothing (noob here) so I set up my system how I thought would work best for me, though I spent too much money for sure. Not that I have a clue what I am doing as I have not even brewed my first batch yet.:eek:

Hopefully someone with experience will chime in here.

You defiantly want to bypass the chiller while circulating the mash, you don't want pieces of grain getting stuck in there.

It is recommended to sanitize the plate chiller (and rims tube in this config) with boiling wort for 5-10 minutes before you start your cooling.
While the wort is still boiling you will want to circulate through the proposed setup back into the BK with the cooling water off.

What are you using between your BK and plate chiller to capture hops? It is unlikely that you will completely clog the chiller but filling it with hop debris makes it super hard to get cleaned.
You will want to use a hop spider or similar tool in the BK.

BIAB, a hop bag, and a bazooka tube in the kettle. The only thing that goes directly into the wort is a whirflock tablet.

I've seen that but I would hate to shell out another $65 if I can effectively use what I already have. I think "Santa" is bringing a $75 Shirron chiller.

the shirron is ok, it is a longer chiller and about as effective at the 30 plate therminator even though it is only a 10 plate chiller but the 20 plate version of the same chiller that duda diesel and brewhardware sells for about the same price as the shirron is a much better value since its literally twice as effective.....

I have the 20 plate duda and have been more than pleased with its performance over the last 3 years.

I agree that recirculating through the chiller during the mash is an unwise thing to do.

Recirculating through the chill plate during the mash was never the idea......

I was asking if I could run the sparge through the RIMS tube to alleviate having to purchase more hardware to monitor the temperature and oxygenate at that point. Since then, I have decided that if Santa brings me a chiller I would add a tee and thermometer and bypass the RIMS tube and oxygenate on the output side of the plate chiller.

Very similar to this.....
https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Plate_Chiller.jpg

I use a filter on the discharge side of the pump and circulate through the heat exchanger throughout the entire mash and boil process , never a clog, infection or any other issues

15168711_1192951614107862_8066507254952385560_o.jpg

Back