Adding Philly Sour, to reduce oxidation in storage.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungupdown

Reaction score
The Philly Sour presentation, mentioned an interesting experiment. In it they found adding Philly Sour yeast, at bottling, could reduce oxidation over time.

The pictured results looked very good.
oxidation.png
So I'm wondering if anyone's tried this idea, or seen any more details.
They didn't include all details of the experiment, like how much oxygen had been left in the test bottles.

In the video presentation, the piece starts around 23:30 in. But the details are in
Philly Sour Overview - Reduced Oxidation
The test beer used was pH 4.5, so must have used some other yeast.

Over the 5 week test, the samples pH and gravity, hardly changed.
The PS added at bottling, isn't likely to ferment. As it would likely be outcompeted, by residuals of the primary fermentation yeast.

So what's going on, and could P S be used to increase shelf life?

The high levels of suspended yeast, in wheat beers, can scavenge any free oxygen. Maybe the added P S, can also do this.
Or maybe any highly flocculent yeast addition, pitched at 2g/L, would be just as good.

I'm not sure I would want 1g per 500ml bottle ( pint) to then grow on with the priming sugar.
A thin film across the bottom of the bottle is all I aim for at the time of serving.
Not putting oxidised beer into the bottle, using a little ascorbic acid and patience with the retained yeast or the use of a new charge seems to have worked for many years.
Not sure what the control was, did they compare to bottling or other yeast or just fresh beer into a bottle.
Seems a bias is in this experiment.

I'm not sure I would want 1g per 500ml bottle ( pint) to then grow on with the priming sugar.
A thin film across the bottom of the bottle is all I aim for at the time of serving.
Not putting oxidised beer into the bottle, using a little ascorbic acid and patience with the retained yeast or the use of a new charge seems to have worked for many years.
Not sure what the control was, did they compare to bottling or other yeast or just fresh beer into a bottle.
Seems a bias is in this experiment.
I think any yeast scavenges oxygen, no? Doesn't need to be Philly Sour. Can be the primary yeast in suspension.

What do you mean by patience with the retained yeast?

I think any yeast scavenges oxygen, no? Doesn't need to be Philly Sour. Can be the primary yeast in suspension.

What do you mean by patience with the retained yeast?
I agree any yeast that manages to multiply and ferment the priming sugar will scavenge.
I'm not convinced by the experiment that the Philly sour is better, the experiment seems flawed.
If you transfer very clear beer and prime there is less yeast and it won't be working as quickly as adding some krausen and priming sugar or a new charge of yeast.
Hence retained yeast ( minimal) needs patience.

I agree any yeast that manages to multiply and ferment the priming sugar will scavenge.
I'm not convinced by the experiment that the Philly sour is better, the experiment seems flawed.
If you transfer very clear beer and prime there is less yeast and it won't be working as quickly as adding some krausen and priming sugar or a new charge of yeast.
Hence retained yeast ( minimal) needs patience.
Speed is probably very useful, so you want more yeast rather than less. I'd rather more yeast in my bottles than oxidised beer.

Latest posts

Back