Adding Oak Flavor to your Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danz

Reaction score
Of course what's described here is very dangerous and should never be attempted unless you're outside and sober :)

I stumbled across a technique called Nuke aging where you microwave a high proofed booze in a mason jar with short 10-30 burst till you see movement, add your wood chips then put the lid on to create a vacuum. The hot liquor opens the pores of the wood and the vacuum forces the liquid into the pores extracting the flavors rapidly. After a couple of days you can repeat to further intensify the flavor but I found that there is still a strong booze flavor. So what easier way to remove the booze?

d7mHTfG.jpg

C5Q7F8i.jpg

This is actually a very high proofed spirit and took forever to burn off the alcohol but the final result was liquid oak that added a great complexity to my cider. I will do some more precise measured experiments and report my results.

Enjoy!

Well I have noticed a higher/faster concentration of oak flavors/aromas vs adding directly into the fermenter as well I can prepare a batch for future use and control exactly how much flavor I want immediately.

For some it may not be worth the effort but there are lots of advantages especially if you only want to flavor a bottle or 2.

waiting for those precise measured experiment results...

Did you use a neutral spirit? wondering what a little bit of rum or brandy flavor left in the oak concentrate might do for the cider, especially as a holiday bev

After making this a couple of ways I found that adding a higher proof spirit works better and is easier to burn off the booze then just plain vodka. I still need to work out the ratio but you want about a 1:3 chips to booze ratio.

I also discovered a blend of 50/50 American Dark Oak & French Oak is a great combo to add some real depth and complexity.

Latest posts

Back