Adding oak and vanilla to a big porter with bourbon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anico4704

Reaction score
I am making a 1.080 OG porter which should end up somewhere in the range of 7.8-8% alcohol. I have read many methods of oaking and adding bourbon/vanilla flavor but I am still not sure what to do. I will be making a 5 gallon batch. I have 4oz american chips, 3 vanilla beans, and a bottle of bourbon. I am open to any methods and amounts. So far I am thinking 1.5 oz of the chips, and the vanilla beans soaked in bourbon for a week and toss everything in the secondary. Not sure how to prepare the vanilla or if tossing it all in is a good ida though?

i think a 1/2 to 3/4 C of bourbon, soak the vanilla beans, scrape the insides & add it all to secondary for a week or two. don't forget to soak or steam the wood---i've only soaked.

If it was me, I'd soak them both separately if you have the means and use your senses to determine when each has been in secondary long enough. You may find that the oak chips (which, with their limited surface area) will add a lot of flavor and aroma very quickly but you don't quite have the desired level of vanilla.

From personal experience you get better vanilla flavor and aroma from a very short (5 minute) boil or at flame out than secondary. Others may dispute this.

Latest posts

Back