Adding more volume to a coopers lager kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nivaguk

Reaction score
Evening All,

I want to up the ABV on my coopers lager which i will be starting on sunday.

I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on how to achieve this.

Cheers mate would liquid or dry be better?

6 and half a dozen, really. Not a brilliant explanation but you'll get the gist. Liquid can get a bit stale if old and/or not stored properly. Dry definitely stays better for longer if kept away from moisture and cool. Dry can be a little finicky as it's hygroscopic, sucks moisture out of the surroundings, so it clumps up on the bag and gets sticky. Liquid drops to the bottom of your brew kettle and can get scorched if you're not careful about adding it, slowly, whilst stirring and off the flame. Dry is slightly easier to measure out smaller quantities as once a can of liquid is opened it's probably best to use it all in one go, although I've frequently poured it into resealable bags, oxygen barrier type ziplocs, and kept in the fridge for a a couple of months, or more, and they've made beer that's been alright.

You can also use plain old sugar for a bit of a bump in ABV without adding much in the way of flavour. Generally, up to as much as 30% of your total fermentables as plain sugar is OK. White cane sugar will "dry out" your beer a bit giving a thinner mouthfeel, the higher the ratio you use.

A 1.8kg can of Cooper's extract kit plus a kilogram of dry malt ex, or slightly more liquid, plus some sugar will see your brew gain a bit more alcohol. If you do that though you'd be wise to look into adding some hops to help keep the recipe in balance.

So to get the balance right what weight in hops per lb sugar should i use

So to get the balance right what weight in hops per lb sugar should i use

How long is a piece of string?

I suppose it all depends on what you want from this beer. I wouldn't have thought that there is any one ideal ratio, of hops to sugar/fermentibles, that applies to everyone. Also not knowing your preferences for beer makes it difficult to offer a valid recommendation.

Haven't use a Cooper's lager kit, so I can't really offer any specific hands on experience and advice on that one either, but did recently brew a Munton's export Pilsener kit can with some additions similar to what I mentioned previously.

Here's the recipe from Hopville/ beer calculus ;

Malt & Fermentables

% KG EBC Yield
47% 1.8 Muntons Light Liquid Malt Extract
Late Boil 8.1 * %
26% 1.0 Muntons Plain Extra Light DME
Boil 11.4 * %
26% 1.0 Cane Sugar
Boil -0.2 * %
Specific Gravity
1.059 OG
(1.052 to 1.061)
14.5° Plato
1.016 FG
(1.014 to 1.017)
4.1° Plato
Measured Values
Edit Gravities / Edit Color
Color
11° EBC
5° SRM
Yellow to Gold
Hops

Usage Time Grams AA » IBU
boil 40 min 20 Nugget ~ pellet 13.0 » 33.5
boil 10 min 14 Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 4.1
boil 5 min 28 Czech Saaz ~ pellet 5.0 » 4.1
Bitterness
41.7 IBU
ƒ: Tinseth
0 HBU
BU:GU
Yeast

Safale US-05 Dry Yeast
yeast in dry form with low to medium flocculation and 73% attenuation
Alcohol
5.7% ABV
4.0% ABW
Calories
per 12 oz.

A 1.8kg can of Munton's Export Pilsener, 1kg of Munton's extra light DME, 1kg of white sugar, a 40 minute boil with 20g Nugget from beginning of boil and 14g Cascade at 10 minutes to flame out. I figure the kit is hopped to, close to, the equivalent of 28g Saaz for 5 minutes. Not very scientific, I know:eek:

It's not a real lager, as it was fermented with US-05 at possibly a bit too low of a temp for the first few days of fermentation, about 13C to 14C, raising to 18C to 20C for a few then letting it hit 22C to 24C from about day 10 to day 21. it has a caramel type aroma but isn't cloyingly sweet in flavor, the bittering is quite strong and I'm really enjoying drinking it now. Having said that, there's every chance that I just suffer horribly from Enjoying each beer I make, no matter how bad they are, so I can't vouch for the above recipe working for you.:fro:

There are so many different hops, with differing levels of alpha acids/bittering and aromas/flavours, that only you can determine what suits your taste buds.:tank:

With the Cooper's OS lager can,I use a 3lb bag of Munton's plain light DME & say 2oz of flavor hops for an average pale ale. You could add .5oz of bittering hops,since the can is already had bittering hops added. Do a 2.5-3 gallon boil,adding half the 3lb bag of DME,or 1.5lbs. Add bittering addition at 45 minutes (set timer). Then maybe German Perle hops at 20 minutes,Czech Saaz at 10 minutes left. Have gallons of water chilled in the fridge or garage overnight to top off with. Cooper's are intended for 23L,or 6.072 USG. OG should be 1.044-1.050,FG about 1.010-1.012.

Back