Adding Maple Syrup (Method)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartangreen

Reaction score
I'd like to know if I'm about to do this right. I'm making a Maple Syrup Brown Ale, basically a typical English Brown Ale where I'm adding maple syrup.

The brown ale has been sitting in the fermenter for almost 2 weeks and is no longer bubbling.
My plan is to add 1lb of grade B pure Maple Syrup that I have boiled and let cool until 65 deg F. To the primary. I don't typically rack to a secondary, so I wasn't going to this time. Then when ready using maple syrup for priming bottles.
Thoughts? Any issues with this method?

Follow up. Its all gone.

So I ended up adding 18oz of the maple syrup just right into the fermenter. Didn't boil it first, just dumped it in.
OG=1052, after 2 weeks the FG=1016. Added Syrup, Fermentation started again and after 2 more weeks I was at 1006.

So this got kegged instead of bottled, due to availability of an empty tap and my longing for this beer sooner versus later.

The maple taste was very sutle. It kind of got lost in the other flavors. But there was some earthy taste there.

I had bought a fifth of the new Crown Royal Maple, and I decided to add a capful the burbon to the bottom of each pint glass before I poured one. This made a huge improvement, as the Crown has a strong Maple aroma and it brought out the flavor of the maple syrup.

In the end, this was a delightful beer coupled with the capful of Crown Royal Maple. I'll make it again.

Sounds great! I just made 2 gallons of maple syrup and was contemplating putting some of it into a beer. A bourbon brown ale sounds deelicious!

Maybe half bourbon and have without. Just for comparison. I can always add it a cap at a time at pouring if I like it that much better.

Latest posts

Back