Adding limes question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyp1980

Reaction score
I have a basic American wheat extract recipe and was thinking of a light summer beer. I like bud with lime after lawn mowing and I got started to think I want to make a home brew with lime. So my question is how do I get a good lime taste into the beer and at which steps do I add them. I know I juice them and use some zest. But how much. And at what steps? Any input would be great.

Post-fermentation in secondary. Use about 4-6 limes. Zest them all into a muslin bag (like a dry hop), then sqeeze the juice in there as well. When you are zesting, be careful not to get any of the pith, as it is very bitter.

You DON'T want to put lime in pre-fermentation in any large quantity, as the yeast don't like the low PH of the citrus. They will be plenty active to carbonate, though, so don't worry about that.

Of course, the easy way to do it is just add lime when you serve, like you would with a Corona :)

Good luck!

TopherM said:
Post-fermentation in secondary. Use about 4-6 limes. Zest them all into a muslin bag (like a dry hop), then sqeeze the juice in there as well. When you are zesting, be careful not to get any of the pith, as it is very bitter.

You DON'T want to put lime in pre-fermentation in any large quantity, as the yeast don't like the low PH of the citrus. They will be plenty active to carbonate, though, so don't worry about that.

Of course, the easy way to do it is just add lime when you serve, like you would with a Corona :)

Good luck!

Thanks bud. Do I soak them in vodka? boil? Or just pour it in then rack on top?

Ok so. I brewed up a cream ale and through mucho research and talking to a brew master I decided to squeeze 6 limes and zest and added it before pitching. Smelled good and taste is well...same as every first sample. Like bitter sweet nasty lol. If after primary and final sample I don't taste any lime ill add some more to secondary. If I do then ill leave it be and finish it out. Not many people post doing this only questions. Ill be sure to post my results and pics during the next few weeks.

image-3481982121.jpg

image-2262269028.jpg

Latest posts

Back