Adding hops 7 days into fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongrill

Reaction score
Last weekend I brewed a DFH 60 minute clone out of their Extreme Brewing book. The recipient calls for adding hops to the fermentation vessel 6-7 days into fermentation. It does not say anything about racking to a secondary. I am assuming I am to just throw a hop sock into the bucket?

Really?

Thanks!

Yes, you can.

Personally, I like to let it rest a little while for the yeast to start to drop before I dry hop. eg 2 weeks fermenting and then a week of dry hopping.

I think even Sam's test batch system might ferment & settle out faster than our little systems do. So 6-7 days might be like 2-3 weeks in ours. I let it settle out clear or slightly misty before dry hopping 1 week. You don't want the hop oils coating the yeast cells & going to the bottom.

if it's done actively fermenting the it's fine to dry hop. If it's still blowing off then the hops will get scrubbed by the co2 and you will lose a lot of aroma.

ah ok union, i had always heard about the scrubbing being the issue... even when hops sink they still give off flavor though, no? I don't really see how yeast coating it would be an issue. I am saying this out of curiosity and not trying to say you are wrong...

if the beer is done actively fermenting then you can dry hop in primary. As for after the dry hopping is done, it's really up to you if you want to secondary or not. Most people these days don't do it.

Latest posts

Back