Adding home made cake to fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbrancraftbeer

Reaction score
So my aunt makes the best poppy seed bread/cake in the world and I want to make a poppy seed bread/cake porter. I literally want to add chunks of the bread/cake to secondary fermentation.

Is there anything I should know about the best ways to add basically an entire loaf of bread, which is essentially moist cake directly into the carboy during 2nd fermentation?

Any help is appreciated!

If you're trying to capture the essence of the poppy seeds, you may be able to put poppy seed pie filling into the secondary (or into the primary after the krauesen settles down. I'm not sure what else goes into your aunt's recipe - lemon, vanilla, ? You could use flavorings in secondary to match those.

I won't say you can't do it, but if it's like the poppy seed cakes I'm familiar with the amount of oil/shortening will wreak havoc on the head retention, and I don't know if baking would qualify as a cereal mash to make any sugar available. I suspect you will not get the results you want.

Having a pint of porter alongside a slice of this cake is probably a better way to pair them, although I'd be afraid that the delicate flavor in the cake could get overwhelmed by the porter.

Back