adding garden hose attachment to pull down faucets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
If you own your house you might consider adding a valve and spigot under the sink. Then you could simply pull out the garden hose and attach to the chiller and turn the valve.

It's all hidden under the sink and you don't have to remove the aerator when using the hose.

Hello. I would also like to do this, but not just for the chiller, also for a bottle washer. I haven't found a true solution other then the hose under the sink, that may not work for the bottle washer. I currently have the same faucet listed on this thread. Thanks.

I have basically the exact same faucet--I took the spray attachment and pictures of the nozzle attachment with me to a very highly-regarded plumbing supply store in town, and they told me there really wasn't any way to connect a hose attachment to it. They gave me an adapter that had a hose clamp type setup and told me it was the best of a bunch of bad options. I tried it out, and i couldn't get it to stop leaking/maintain pressure.

I thought about trying to attach something under the sink, but decided instead to just buy a 1/4 hp sump pump for $50. I fill the sink with cold water and attach the chiller directly to the pump. I have the chiller output feed back into the sink until the water gets too warm, then I'll move the output hose into the other half of the sink (or a bucket if I want to use the water for the lawn, etc.) and turn on the cold tap into the filled sink so the water gradually gets colder as the warmer water is pumped out.

I have done three brews with this setup and I've been happy with it so far.

I was also told that it couldn't be done! After much thought, I bought two adapters, because I couldn't find one that would bridge the size difference. I want to say that the sizes were 3/8" female to 1/2" male and then 1/2" female to 3/4" male. A little Teflon tape on the intermediary threads and I thought that I was ready to go. However, the final piece to the puzzle was how to prevent leaks due to the connector on the hose sliding/backflow; mine is loose and apparently the pressure of the threaded connection pushes the aerator tightly into it's connection point in the faucet head. I inserted a round, rubber grommet from my fermenting bucket airlock port into the 1/2" male end of the first adapter and the aerator now pushes tightly against that, which prevents backflow and the hose connector from moving.

Rubber grommet: http://www.homebrewing.org/Rubber-Lid-Grommet-Replacement_p_1822.html

3/8" female to 1/2" male adapter: I couldn't find a good representation. The size may also have been 5/16" to 1/2".

1/2" female to 3/4" male adapter: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Chief-3-4-in-x-1-2-in-Lead-Free-Brass-MIP-x-FIP-Hex-Bushing-930-15302001/202254973?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-203468405-_-202254973-_-N

I was at a home brew club meeting where a solution was presented but I suspect some won't work because of non s tankard threads. Some people are lucky, I am not

Unscrew the head and take it with to the plumbing supply area of the store. Find a barb fitting that will work. I have a pull out sprayer and nobody makes a long enough hose adapter to reach inside it. So I took the sprayer handle off(weight the house down so it doesn't retract back into the housing!!!) found the fitting I needed and I use that.

I just attach a regular funnel to some of my thermo tubing, turn the faucet to hot, crack a brew and hope I don't die of boredom.

Pull downs aren't made to have attachments. AFAIK, working in the plumbing dept at the Lowes here, you're SOL.

I had the same problem but I got a double stainless steel sink from a restaurant/bar owning friend who couldn't use it (he had to use a triple), and bought a cheap two handled high spout faucet. I also bought a couple of FDA approved 2' sanitary water hoses to hook up to the new faucet (they're used to fill rv or boat drinking water tanks). SWMBO has her kitchen sink all to her self and I started whats become a pretty nice brew area in the basment.

Just joined, wanting to learn more about home brewing beer. My parents already make wine and thought I could use some of their equipment for first go. As for your water hose problem, if you have a restroom close enough a hose will reach did you try the faucet there. a 25 or 50 foot hose could do the trick. Also for an adapter you could use a waterbed filling adapter from bathroom faucet, you just unscrew faucet tip and screw in the adapter. It already has the threads on it for a hose. :)

If you own your house you might consider adding a valve and spigot under the sink. Then you could simply pull out the garden hose and attach to the chiller and turn the valve.

It's all hidden under the sink and you don't have to remove the aerator when using the hose.
This is the best response of all the others I have seen. Good luck.
My BIL is in Hicksville, N of Woodbury Rd and West of S. Oyster Bay Rd. Poor guy, he's allergic to beer.

I have a similar situation, it's fine when I'm brewing outside, but when I brew inside during the winter, I was out of luck.

My solution is to carry the wort (carefully, as to not spill on the carpet) into the bathroom where I've attached a hose adapter on the sink.

Hi folks, first post. I had this exact same problem with connecting my chiller up to the Moen pull out faucet. Through an eBay company I was able to order a brass M16x1.5 male thread to 3/8 barb adaptor that fits like a glove on the faucet. Next brew day I won't need to haul the sump pump rig upstairs (which worked quite well).
Cheers

I have a similar faucet. I don't yet use an IC, but what I was thinking of doing is adding 1/2" fittings and using 1/2" silicon tubing connected to a garden water fountain pump and cycling the water through a cooler filled with ice water.

Any reason that wouldn't work?

Hi folks, first post. I had this exact same problem with connecting my chiller up to the Moen pull out faucet. Through an eBay company I was able to order a brass M16x1.5 male thread to 3/8 barb adaptor that fits like a glove on the faucet. Next brew day I won't need to haul the sump pump rig upstairs (which worked quite well).
Cheers

I don't know the exact fittings but I would guess I have the same ones. To the OP, for a chiller, swap out the garden hose for tubing. Home depot has the tubing and a fitting that can be secured to chiller copper made out of refrigerator coil by a clamp and then add a fitting to screw in place of the nozzle. I wish I recall all the diameters and fitting sizes, but getting the correct parts was very easy for my DIY chiller.

TIP, tie the faucet hose in a knot from preventing int from sliding all the way under the sink when you disconnect the nozzle (wink)

I just pull a garden hose through the window. Close the window down till it just touches the hose, then pack the gap of an inch or so with towels. Really isn't a big deal.

It appears that Moen used a custom design on the wand fitting.... I don't brew beer but I am building a spot free car and window rinse system, sorta close!? no? I contacted Moen, I like building things, if I find a old or really cheap wand with the correct male threaded fitting I'll cut it out of the wand and build my own adapter.

Summer time, I use my single bay sink, holds a 7 gallon pot no prob. I use two 2 liter soda bottles frozen. My wort comes down to 80ºf in 45min. I leave the lid off and use a towel drenched in star san to cover.
Winter time I use a pale (food trough) outside, cool in 30 minutes. Covered with towel and lid.
I've used the Bathtub a couple times when I had a double bay sink.

I have seen and like the guys who save the warm water to break down or clean the job by using that same water. Save water, it's a pretty good idea.

Exactly what I did, works great!

If you're handy with plumbing, it's easy to do yourself, or I just paid a plumber to do it since he was already doing some other work for us...just cost an extra $30 on the bill, totally worth it!

I wanted to attach a portable washing machine to my kitchen sink to be able to launder my clothes during the pandemic (I own in a small condo assoc and the units don't have a place for a proper washer/dryer). I found that a condom nicked at both ends and stretched over the integrated faucet head then secured with a tightening clamp, and then around the hose intake the same way, allowed me to run a low-pressure spray of room temp water from the faucet to the unit. (Make sure you use only the non-lube condoms or they will slip right off the head.) They only last for one wash but I found they work better than balloons. At first this necessitated multiple trips to the drug store to buy condoms each time I ran out, but I got around this by buying them online because I can purchase in bulk without any embarrasement at the raised eyebrows and stares going through the register at the middle-aged woman buying the economy bulk pack of generic condoms. If you only need a temporary fix, try this, but don't run it hard--the faucet should only be on halfway and water on the cooler side. Too much pressure and the condom will burst. I only had to do this until I could get someone to come out and replace my faucet to a non-integrated head (the old fashioned one with the standard threads). Good luck!

Back