Adding DME w/ hopstopper & elements?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kydan47

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a Bell's 2-hearted clone w/ a friend recently and because we were in a hurry & a few (3-4) points off on a 10 gallon batch, decided to add a lb of DME. We drew off some wort and added the DME but failed to stir enough ( I guess) before adding to BK. Later while we were chilling by recirculating the wort thru a Therminator and returning to the BK, noticed the drop in temp stalled and wort was no longer circulating.

We threw in a IC and after getting the wort to temp, the rack off stalled completely. Racked off w/ auto siphon. During clean up found one of two elements w/ some burnt wort and the bottom of the hopstopper was coated w/ a solid but thin layer of mudlike film stopping the hopstopper completely! The hops, protein break did not help, but the thin layer on the bottom completely blocked the hopstopper!

I'm guessing DME clumped together creating the mudlike film with the recirculation? Anyone else have this problem & how did/do you add DME to your electric BK?

Thanks in advance!
Dan F.
LAGERS/FOSSILS

I always put DME into it's own pint of fresh water rather than straight into BK and use a whisk to make sure it's dissolved before adding

Latest posts

Back