Adding dme or lme to fermenter??help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christin

Reaction score
Hello i recently made my third batch of beer. After my wort was boiled i only got a gravity of 1.032 my target was 1.046. I think i must of not milled the grain properly which gave me these results. Would it be too late to add LME or DME to fermenter after 3 days of fermenting??

No it's not too late, but it's another avenue for infection.

You would need to boil it in some quantity of water before you added it.
If you currently have 5 gallons, it would take 1.67lbs of dme boiled in 1qt of water to raise the gravity.

W=N(1/(44/v))

W is the amount of dme in lbs
N is the number of pts to rais it (14 in your case)
V is the total volume (5 gallons plus 1 qt to boil DME in)

For LME replace the 44 with 36.

For big Belgians you traditionally add sugar after primary fermentation to hit higher ABVs, so yr not going to break anything by doing it with DME. Just sanitize everything, boil, cool (don't add boiling DME to your fermenter), and add.

I'd let it ride as is though. You risk aeriation (minimal since you are reintroducing fermentables) and infection. As it sits It should be a nice session beer around 3~3.25%. Call it a learning experience and brew another batch when your fermenter is available.

in my first brews I stopped stressing about not hitting numbers - so long as the mash and ferment temp were in range - they all came out great (but off the numbers)

I have adjusted in the fermenter, both raising and lowering gravity successfully.
As mentioned, there are many things routinely added to fermented beer: sugar, fruit, hops or spices. Go ahead and add the extract. Any oxygen you introduce will be used by the yeast.

Latest posts

Back