Adding Chocolate at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a double chocolate stout which at first was going to be just a chocolate stout but i had some cocoa sitting around so i decided to throw it in with about 15 minutes left in the boil. I weighed it out and it was about 4 oz worth give or take a little. When i took the gravity I couldn't really taste any chocolate flavor in the beer. I've decided that i want this beer to have a noticeable chocolate flavor and I was thinking of adding more cocoa to the or unsweetened chocolate powder before i bottled. Just wanted some ideas from everyone. If it doesn't come out the way i want i'll just have to drink it and brew more beer. Either way win win. Thanks in advance.

Did this with a chocolate stout last year. It turned out pretty good. I just dumped the whole container into my boil during the last 15 minutes. Keep in mind, this will not add ANY 'sweetness' to your beer.

I am getting ready to try the recipe again, only this time, I'm dumping 4oz. of lactose into the boil. It's a non-fermentable sugar and it's REALLY sweet stuff. This should add just enough of a sweet taste without being overbearingly sweet...

You might be able to add dissolved lactose to either your secondary and rack your beer onto it or maybe add it to your bottling bucket.

Or, buy some chocolate extract and add it to your secondary before racking.

Latest posts

Back