Added too much water!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themats

Reaction score
Brewed a Trappist Noble Ale, but didn't pay attention, and filled the fermenting bucket with at least a gallon or more of extra water. I filled to the line inside the bucket instead of looking at the 5 gallon mark on the outside. So here are my gravity readings and what the recipe said they should be:

Original: 1.052 Specific Gravity 1.052
Final: 1.002 Specific Gravity 1.002
Alcohol By Weight: 5.4 %
Alcohol By Volume: 6.7 %

Here are the ones from the directions:

SG: 1.049-1.053
FG: 1.010-1.012

I've tasted it, and it's pretty watery tasting. Anything I can do to salvage this? What about adding lemonade mix in the secondary or just prior to bottling and calling it a shandy?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Murray

If i'm reading this right the directions say you should be .049-.053 and you started at .052. I don't see the problem. If you hit the proper gravity you couldn't have added too much water.

Don't add lemonaide. Bottle it as is and see how you like it. You could always add lemonaide afterwards if that's what you want.

Was this an extract kit?

The way I understand is that IF you hit your target volume correctly your SG will be what is indicated by the directions (of course hydrometers are temperature dependent & are difficult to get a super-precise reading).

If this was an extract kit, and you did indeed over fill by a gallon you could be as much as 5 - 10 points lower than the recipe's calculation.

If you hit your SG dead on, with extra water, you might be mis-reading your hydrometer....

Extract kit from Midwest. Wort was below 80 degrees when I took the sample. I can't remember if I took the sample before adding the water or not. I know that I added at least 8-10 pint glasses full of water into the fermenting bucket. Looking at the same mark on the bottling bucket, I added an extra gallon. Gravity figures aside, it tastes pretty watery.

Not much you can do about it now except wait. I've heard that when bottling, priming with DME instead of corn sugar will add a little more body which may help some, but I've only ever used corn sugar so I'm not sure if that will help or not...

Latest posts

Back