Added priming sugar before measuring FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinchef_fairfax

Reaction score
OOOPS!! 5oz priming sugar for 16L of Ale.. Any idea on how to adjust for the FG? Or would it have made that much of a difference?

Well if your beer didn't finish carbonating and wasn't stuck you will get bottle bombs. How long was it in the fermenter and what kind of OG did it have and what kind of yeast did you use?

How long was it in the fermenter and what kind of OG did it have ?

It fermented for 21 days and had a gravity of 1.016 after 7 days and the exact same gravity today after adding the priming sugar..
I don't recall the exact OG as I have to go look it up - but I seem to recall 1.064

5.25 Gallon batch
60 minute boil
6.6lbs Munich LME
1.0lb Golden Light DME
Wyeast 1007 German Ale
1.0lb Carapils
8oz Liberty Malt - 6 Row Lovibond 25
2oz Willamette @ 55 and 5

It fermented for 21 days and had a gravity of 1.016 after 7 days and the exact same gravity today after adding the priming sugar..
I don't recall the exact OG as I have to go look it up - but I seem to recall 1.064

5.25 Gallon batch
60 minute boil
6.6lbs Munich LME
1.0lb Golden Light DME
Wyeast 1007 German Ale
1.0lb Carapils
8oz Liberty Malt - 6 Row Lovibond 25
2oz Willamette @ 55 and 5

That sounds good to me unless I'm just not understanding your question.

I just wanted to know if there was a scale adjustment (2 points or so) for adjusting for the extra sugar to get an accurate number.

I just wanted to know if there was a scale adjustment (2 points or so) for adjusting for the extra sugar to get an accurate number.

Your FG will remain the same, but the ABV of the beer will increase by about .5% alcohol, if that's what you're asking.

If you are asking if you took the FG now, and what it would be with the sugar in it, the priming sugar adds about .004 to the beer.

Yes Yooper - thanks.. I was saying that I forgot to take the measure BEFORE I added the sugar - so I took it after realizing and then wondered what effect that would have on the actual number..

Latest posts

Back