Added pectic enzymes in boiling water, still works?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sago

Reaction score
Well, I added that in boiling water because the instructions didn't say when to add so I assumed it was okay...then later on I see other recipes add them when the boiling water cools down.

I'm wondering is this a problem? Should I add more if it got destroyed? I added the yeast in so not sure if that'll stress out the yeast.

Frozen mixed berries btw, I've also heard if they're frozen you don't need pectic enzymes?

I would add more. From what I understand, if you add it while the must is boiling hot it renders it useless.

Also, add pectic enzyme when you add any fruit, fresh or frozen.

Pectinase is a protein, when you boiled it you killed it. Why were you boiling stuff to make wine from fruits? Also yeast can interfer with pectinase actions so how, most advise to add pectinase, let it do its thing and then add the yeast, not sure if that is necessary since people who ferment naturally with the yeast on their grapes still add pectinase to their grapes. Post your recipe and maybe someone can offer suggestions on a better way. WVMJ

Okay I based my recipe on this.

http://www.letsdowine.com/blwire.html

Instead of pure blueberries, I've added cherry, pomegranate, blueberries, and blackberries. I also didn't use nylon strainer, just dumped it all in. Regretted that lol. My next recipe will just be blueberries using that recipe or hopefully better suggestions.

Well, I added that in boiling water because the instructions didn't say when to add so I assumed it was okay...then later on I see other recipes add them when the boiling water cools down.

I'm wondering is this a problem? Should I add more if it got destroyed? I added the yeast in so not sure if that'll stress out the yeast.

Frozen mixed berries btw, I've also heard if they're frozen you don't need pectic enzymes?
Adding both Pectic Enzyme and yeast renders both useless. You kill all your yeast. When making your must, let it cool first!!! Then add your pectic enzyme and let it sit for 24 hours in a cool dark place. After the 24 hours add your Yeast Nutrient(if you have any) and your yeast and give it a good stir. Put the airlock on and set again in a cool dark place. ***BUT FIRST*** Measure your Starting gravity. That will tell you if you need to add water or add more sugar etc. Starting gravity should be 1.100 or near that. In about a week measure it again to see how the yeast is doing. ALWAYS take notes!!!

Adding both Pectic Enzyme and yeast renders both useless. You kill all your yeast. When making your must, let it cool first!!! Then add your pectic enzyme and let it sit for 24 hours in a cool dark place. After the 24 hours add your Yeast Nutrient(if you have any) and your yeast and give it a good stir. Put the airlock on and set again in a cool dark place. ***BUT FIRST*** Measure your Starting gravity. That will tell you if you need to add water or add more sugar etc. Starting gravity should be 1.100 or near that. In about a week measure it again to see how the yeast is doing. ALWAYS take notes!!!
I also add Bentonite in my primary because the fermentation keeps it suspended. In secondary I will add sparkoloid.

Back