Added irish moss too early. Will this be OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of doing a kettle soured wheat beer. My plan is to boil for 60 minutes, chill, add lacto, sour for 3 days, boil for 30 minutes to target volume and then ferment. I stupidly added my irish moss at the end of tonights pre-sour 60 minute boil. So this means it will be in the kettle for the whole additional 30 minute boil in 3 days. Will this have a negative effect on my finished beer? I've never boiled irish moss for more than 10 minutes. Any insight would be much appreciated!!

I was going to say as long as you didn't use a crazy amount (some sad rookie hbt'er posted he used a whole ounce in a 5g batch :() the worst that can happen is it won't be as effective.

I use a half teaspoon per 5 gallons and it's amazingly effective.
I would have zero qualms about adding another half teaspoon with 10 minutes left in a second boil...

Cheers!

A whole ounce in 5 gallons?! Haha i wonder how that came out. Same as you, i use 1/2 tsp in a 6 gallon batch, thanks for the reassurance!

Back