Added irish moss after flameout. Am I ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So I just brewed up a huge barleywine and as I turned on the chiller, I realized that I had forgot to add the irish moss. Without thinking, I added it quickly while the wort was still at 180F and let it sit there for a few minutes before turning the chiller back on. Do you guys think this could potentially infect my brew? I will be so mad if I just wasted all these ingredients with such a stupid mistake.

i would imagine a huge barleywine would be sitting for a long time so you could have skipped the irish moss and time would have taken care of clarity for you.

Im hoping that the 5 minutes or so at 180F was enough to kill anything that could cause problems. Anyone else have any input?

It won't hurt the beer to add it at 180f.. Anything over 160f. that gets to that temperature will sterilize pretty well. As to the effectiveness of the irish moss, you'll probably see some reduced effectiveness against haze producing proteins. Barleywines are generally a very dark, high gravity beer where chill haze isn't much of a factor. I wouldn't worry at all.

Im hoping that the 5 minutes or so at 180F was enough to kill anything that could cause problems. Anyone else have any input?

5 minutes at 180 is almost assuredly enough. I once had an earwig pop in when I took the lid off at ~180 while actively recirculating and chilling and nothing happened.

it won't hurt the beer to add it at 180f.. Anything over 160f. That gets to that temperature will sterilize pretty well. As to the effectiveness of the irish moss, you'll probably see some reduced effectiveness against haze producing proteins. Barleywines are generally a very dark, high gravity beer where chill haze isn't much of a factor. I wouldn't worry at all.

+1

Back