added dry hops too quick. Crap.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukesbb37

Reaction score
**I promise this isn't a "did i ruin my beer" thead. Its a "what did just do to my beer" thread.**

Hey guys first brew... its been actually about 5 days for my primary fermentation... and i got SG readings of 1.021 and 1.021 .... 30 hours apart so i decided to rack into my carboy... but i made a dumb mistake.

I meant to dry hop with 5 days left in the secondary... and i added them right after i racked... I forgot that if i do that im supposed to put them in a bag or something so i can get them back out.

What will 2 weeks of dry hopping do to my beer?

I would RDWHAHB but i dont HAHB to R and DW with.

2 weeks is fine. A lot of beers are dry hopped for 2 weeks; I have done one for a month with dry hops and never experience any grassy flavor. I do not advocate this but I didn’t have time to keg said beer.

I usually hit my beers with some hops for 14 days then some more for 7 days then lastly another hit for 4 days.

That's a little long to dry hop, but I know a number of people do it for 2 weeks with no problems. If it's definitely at FG, though, I'd just dry hop for a week, and then give it some extra time in bottles.

Your ok, its the same amount of hop aroma either way. I actually prefer to dry hop after about 85-90% attenuation. I think the yeast activity and hop interaction tastes better, however, I have no data to back that up just personal opinion. Dry hopping in a secondary is generally preferable because you can harvest the yeast and the alcohol content can help kill any bacteria on the unboiled hops, plus its less of a mess. So what I'm trying to say here is 14 days or 5 days dry hopping in a secondary doesn't really matter much.

Well i might get less hopping that i thought. Looks like some of the rabbit food (hop pellets) rode the foam from my starsan right up the airlock and into the airlock tank thingy.... Im just letting them dissolve in my water/starsan solution thats sitting in the airlock. Should i take it off and dump it out and put new water/starsan in it?

Back