Acidic Concentrate and Yeast Survival Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Trott

Reaction score
This is my first post and I am a definite newbie. I have only made a couple successful, extremely basic, batches of white and red wine from 100% juice, sugar and yeast. I want to experiment with more acidic juices similar to the “skeeter pee.”

From what I have read, I am going to try to pitch the acidic “wart” into the yeast cake for the primary fermentation. I’m using champagne yeast and I will try to start the yeast with some condensed warm sugar water (maybe some of the dead yeast from a previous batch too?), for about 30 minutes, before pitching the yeast into the acidic mix. Any advice on how to go about this different or if this is a good plan of action?? I probably won’t be buying any additional nutrients or other yeast, for now. Just trying to get a plan of action with the supplies I have.

Thanks in advance for any insight! I have spent many hours on here reading amazing tips and tricks. Hope I can share some gained knowledge myself down the road.

Planning on using lemonade, limeade, pink lemonade concentrate, sugar, yeast and priming it with grape concentrate for carbonation before bottling.

Last edited:
In case I can help anyone else out on this issue. I tried twice to rehydrate the yeast before pitching. No luck (Red Star Champangne Yeast.). I ended up adding some DAP nutrient, energizer and pitching the yeast, dry, 6 days after zero signs of fermentation. Then, 12 hrs later it took off, full boar.

The nutrient and energizer helps a lot. May concider a titration acid test kit. In WY we get grapes with an acid level of 1.3% and they will kill the yeast. When adding sugar I try for an SG of 1.092 and an acid of .62%. Juices make great wine. Except for blue berries. They give off potassium sorbate. Quite a challenge.

Generally for these difficult fermentations I would definitely recommend properly* rehydrating dry wine yeast using GoFerm, and using a generous amount of Fermaid O in staggered additions. Also aerate/oxygenate.

This is the best way to pitch lots of healthy yeast cells and give them fuel to finish the fermentation.

*Use the correct amount of the correct water at the correct temperature. Follow the manufacturer recommendations.

FYI unfermented juice is called "must". Wort is unfermented beer.

Latest posts

Back